We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Cheapest seeds for blight resistant tomatoes

Options
Primrose
Primrose Posts: 10,623 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
edited 22 August 2009 at 5:00PM in Gardening
With tomato blight becoming increasingly common around the country more tomato growers will want to grow a blight resistant variety next year. This year I've been experimenting with Ferline, which is blight resistant and has produced really healthy plants & fruit. I'm very impressed with its performance and have been checking around for the cheapest seed for next year, as it's an F1 variety which are more expensive than other types. The cheapest I've found are Wallis seeds, which are 15 for £1.25 and 30 for £1.98 which is much cheaper than Thompson & Morgan and other seed sellers. www.wallis-seeds.co.uk. They can be ordered over the internet or you can request a catalogue for next year from the website.

Comments

• Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 August 2009 at 4:20PM
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, i was going to order the feline seeds from T&M for next year but this will save some pennies.

I`m fed up with blight as my potatoes were affected this year and it is now affecting the rest of my tomatoes.

Just need to find somewhere cheap for the sarpo mira seed potatoes that i want for next year now.

SD

PS The dot between wallis and seeds is actually a hyphen so the correct site won`t open from the link;)
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • misskool
    misskool Posts: 12,832 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Linkie
    http://www.wallis-seeds.co.uk/

Tempted to experiment with these and sowing early for next year. My first year growing and I cried the first day I found blight on my tomatoes :cry:
  • Sunnyday
    Options
    I`ve just been in the fridge to add some more toms to the growing collection in there and found that one had gone mushy so i threw it out.

Assuming that i ate one which had succumbed to the dreaded blight what would happen?

A) nowt

B) i would be ill

C) i`d drop off me perch

Anyone know?

SD
  • Primrose
    edited 22 August 2009 at 5:06PM
    Options
    Normally if you try to eat a blighted tomato it will taste so foul that you will spit it out immediately. Rather like trying to eat a rotten egg. If it tastes OK, you'll be OK. If you're worried about deterioration from blight (and this can happen very quickly, almost overnight), the best thing to do, as soon as you've picked them is to cook them down which will certainly prevent any further deterioration. If you chop them and fry with onions and garlic until everything is a pulp you can freeze them for adding to soups, caseroles, bolognese sauce, etc. If you want a smoother purree, just whizz it with a stick blender and then freeze in polythene bags.
  • Sunnyday
    Options
    Great, thanks very much.

I shall get the pan out later :D

SD
  • buxtonrabbitgreen
    Options
    misskool wrote: »
    Linkie
    http://www.wallis-seeds.co.uk/

Tempted to experiment with these and sowing early for next year. My first year growing and I cried the first day I found blight on my tomatoes :cry:

thanks I have bookmarked this site.
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination:beer:

Oscar Wilde
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,186 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just left a post about 'Ferline' on another strand. I can really recommend this variety. We tried them this year after 2 bad years of blight and losing most of our crop. This week I've picked 14lbs of beautifully ripe, big Ferline tomatoes, there are lots more to come and so far no sign of the blight. They can get it, but they hold off a lot longer so more chance of getting a crop ripe and harvested. I don't think I'm going to bother with other varieties now. I'm going to stick with these.
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • girlfriday09
    Options
    I was wondering if these were successful as outdoor tomatoes or just indoor ones?
  • superpup
    superpup Posts: 571 Forumite
    Options
    I've ordered some Ferline seeds bundled in with another supposedly blight resistant variety from Thompson & Morgan as they had free P&P this weekend. Not amazing price but I thought it may be worth trying both as all tomatoes were pulled up a couple of weeks ago due to the dreaded blight, again. £2.99 for 30 seeds - 15 or each - I think.
  • Primrose
    Options
    girlfriday - I've grown all my Ferline tomatoes outdoors. Picked quite a few biggies before we went away on holiday last week. Returned this week-end to find many of the remainder ripening nicely and not a sign of blight either.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure