We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Miniplants

Options
azzabazza
azzabazza Posts: 1,072 Forumite
As a complete newbie this is my first post and welcome some advice.

I have bought quite a lot of autumn/winter miniplant bedding from Suttons and Thomson and Morgan (pansies, bellis and dwarf wallflower - still to come violas and polyanthus). I have repotted into plug trays and very pleased with the results - I have more plants than I ordered as failure rate was very low. There is already signs of growth after only a week.

My question is - do I pinch out growing shoots or do I just let them do their own thing and develop until I can pot up into borders and decorative pots for the winter/spring show of colour.

I must add that this is the first time I have bought miniplants as I usually buy established bedding from the likes of B&Q and I think I have saved quite a lot of money.

Would welcome your advice.

Azza.

Comments

• peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    None of the plants mentioned needs any tips removing. Don't forget to give them a mild feed at about 5 weeks when the composts nutrients have started to run out, a week or two earlier if cheap compost used.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure