HELP! Electricity bill quadrupled

Options
lozkate
lozkate Posts: 127 Forumite
Is there anything that I can do?

Strangly enough last week I thought that as we were paying £67 per month for our electricity I ought to look at moving supplier from British Gas as the cost had gone up from £25 when we first moved into the property in June 2003. I used the site through MSE that gave Cashback and have moved to a much cheaper tarriff still through BG. We were originally with N Power but moved when someone knocked on the door showing the cheaper tarriff.

However today I have received a bill with a new monthly amount (done before I rang to change) of £273.50!

I have rung BG and after 5 mins :mad: I was told that it was becasuse we owed over £840 - however they could reduce the bill to £100 but it would take longer to pay off!

Why has it taken so long to tell me how much I was behind? We cook with electricity as we dont have gas but have oil for our heating.

Any help before their manager rings me back would really be appreciated.

Kate

Sorry this is on the wrong board I should have put it on the electricity one!

Comments

• penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your problem.
    Did your last quarterly bill not tell you you were in debit with your account, or have they been estimating your usage without reading the meter.
    I think the first step would be to read your electric meter give it to BG.

It may just be that things are not as bad as they seem
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • jaydog_2
    jaydog_2 Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    I sympathise I had similar problems with BG many moons ago I had to take to the energy watchdog in got sorted in the end.
    First off check your meter, then your bill and see if the figures tie in. But remember BG have increased the costs, but that still should not account for that crazy figure.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure