4 late/missed payments - effect on credit score?

Options
My wife has 4 "missed/late" payments over the last year on her credit report. All of these are with catalogue companies and it's simply been a case of her not setting up a direct debit and then forgetting to pay - extremely annoying for me since we have the money there, she just hasn't paid it. Useless!

Is this likely to have a significant effect on our credit scores? We are financially linked so will it also affect me, if I apply for a new credit card?

How long do these go against us - will they drop off for good after 1 year or are they still seen by lenders?

We are also moving home soon and will need to remortgage - how will these affect our mortgage applications?

I'm really annoyed that this has happened, but just want to get past it and ensure it does not happen again. We now have DDs set up on ALL her credit accounts, so everything should be running smooth.

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Moggles_2
    Moggles_2 Posts: 6,097 Forumite
    Options
    Is this likely to have a significant effect on our credit scores? We are financially linked so will it also affect me, if I apply for a new credit card?
    If you share a financial product (eg. mortgage) with someone else, then you are financially linked to them and their affairs could have an effect on your ability to get credit.
    People who don't know their rights, don't actually have those rights.
  • Innocent_Guy
    Innocent_Guy Posts: 5,369 Forumite
    edited 21 August 2009 at 2:59PM
    Options
    oceanscape wrote: »
    My wife has 4 "missed/late" payments over the last year on her credit report. All of these are with catalogue companies and it's simply been a case of her not setting up a direct debit and then forgetting to pay - extremely annoying for me since we have the money there, she just hasn't paid it. Useless!

How long do these go against us - will they drop off for good after 1 year or are they still seen by lenders?

We are also moving home soon and will need to remortgage - how will these affect our mortgage applications?

I'm really annoyed that this has happened, but just want to get past it and ensure it does not happen again. We now have DDs set up on ALL her credit accounts, so everything should be running smooth.

Thanks for any advice!
    HI There,

These could potentially stay on file for 6 years..

This COULD mean that you get offered a higher rate as you are more of a risk.

4 missed payments could cause an adverse marker. Could you confirm if they were on 1 account and was consecutive?
    Bank Accounts - Barlcays Premier[/B] - £1000 o/d, HSBC - £200 o/d- First Direct - £500
    Credit Cards - Barclaycard £2000 - Silver Card £1300 - Flybe £7500 - HSBC £1000 - First Direct £2500 First Direct Gold £3000
    6 credit accounts closed in 2010!

Official SOS Club number 001 - Dry until 01.07.10
  • Moggles_2
    Moggles_2 Posts: 6,097 Forumite
    Options
    How long do these go against us? Will they drop off for good after 1 year or are they still seen by lenders?

Each late or missed payment would generally disappear from view after 36 months (Experian), 48 months (Equifax), provided that she keeps the accounts open and active.

(If she were to close the accounts, the most recent payment history stays on file for 6 years.)

That said, if there's no further negative data, the effect on you would be fairly short-lived. These records become steadily less significant as they recede into the background.
    People who don't know their rights, don't actually have those rights.
  • oceanscape
    oceanscape Posts: 392 Forumite
    Options
    I appreciate your replies.

They were not on one account and were not consecutive. I think 2 were with one company and the other two with a different 2 catalogues.

There is no other negative data, as far as I know, but I'm just worried these might screw up our chance of getting a decent mortgage rate.
  • Innocent_Guy
    Innocent_Guy Posts: 5,369 Forumite
    Options
    oceanscape wrote: »
    I appreciate your replies.

They were not on one account and were not consecutive. I think 2 were with one company and the other two with a different 2 catalogues.

There is no other negative data, as far as I know, but I'm just worried these might screw up our chance of getting a decent mortgage rate.

I think this could cause you to be offered a slightly higher rate however not too bad. If you have years and years of unblemished credit history these will not be too dramatic.

I would personally speak with a mortgage advisor and see what they think..

Remember some people get half decent rates even with DEFAULTS!!!
    Bank Accounts - Barlcays Premier[/B] - £1000 o/d, HSBC - £200 o/d- First Direct - £500
    Credit Cards - Barclaycard £2000 - Silver Card £1300 - Flybe £7500 - HSBC £1000 - First Direct £2500 First Direct Gold £3000
    6 credit accounts closed in 2010!

Official SOS Club number 001 - Dry until 01.07.10
  • _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    Options
    Really depends on things like your LTV etc. Worse case would be just sticking to your existing mortgage lender as they won't re score/search you (assuming the borrowing amount stays the same that is).
  • Sergio_Baptista
    Options
    if its all from different accounts then its not going to make much of a difference..its not going to affect your credit score to that extent that no bank would deal with you..i think its totally natural and these things can happen un knowingly also some times..
  • cmatt360
    cmatt360 Posts: 113 Forumite
    Options
    Moggles wrote: »
    Each late or missed payment would generally disappear from view after 36 months (Experian), 48 months (Equifax), provided that she keeps the accounts open and active.

(If she were to close the accounts, the most recent payment history stays on file for 6 years.)

That said, if there's no further negative data, the effect on you would be fairly short-lived. These records become steadily less significant as they recede into the background.

answered a question i was going to make a new thread for :T thanks :beer:
    I feel like the day he died
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family