Free bus travel in Scotland

Hope I've got the right board. I did think about posting on Over 60's but this applies to disabled people too so thought it more use here.
I'm sorry I can't provide a click link - I don't know how to do them - DOH !!!
I've given the URL for info on the entitlement card though so away you go.

Just a pity I don't live in Bonny Scotland myself but I hope it helps our friends o'er the Border.

Scotland-wide free bus and coach travel

National Express is participating in the concessionary bus and coach scheme within Scotland, which starts 1 April 2006.

Free travel within Scotland is now available to people aged 60 years and over, and people with a disability, who hold the Scottish Executive Entitlement Card.

How to use the Entitlement Card on National Express journeys

We are currently working on a way of allowing Entitlement Card holders to book free tickets for Scottish journeys in advance.

In the meantime, you can travel free of charge between any two points within Scotland, on any National Express journey, simply by showing your Entitlement Card to the driver when you board. You will be issued with a "zero fare" ticket.

Travel will only be accepted as a 'single' journey and will be subject to seat availability. If you need to guarantee your seat or pre-book, you will need to pay for the journey - we will refund the cost.

The Scottish Executive has not yet agreed any terms with National Express regarding cross-border travel between Scotland and England. As such, existing ticketing and fare arrangements apply.

Click here for more information about the Entitlement Card
http://www.infoscotland.com/seemore/seemore_display_home.jsp?p_applic=CCC&p_service=Content.show&pContentID=1&
I'll catch up tomorrow!

Comments

• Butterfli
    Butterfli Posts: 159
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    WOW!
    How did I manage to do that link? I'm amazed!!!!
    I'll catch up tomorrow!
  • krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    Wonder why this can be done in Scotland but not for another 2 years in England. And yes I am envious:rotfl:
  • orangelily8
    orangelily8 Posts: 4,877
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I have the disability card, and I can have a companion travel free with me, all over Scotland.
    I don't use mines much, as I have a car, but my Mum and her friend go all over, for days out, shopping etc.
    I AM WHAT I AM ;)

• Nice to know that folk can travel free.

Pity I have to pay for my travel AND pay taxes to pay for this giveaway.

Don't people get money ( pensions/ benefits ) which is designed to pay for day to day costs including travel ?
    qui tacet consentire -

Who is silent gives consent.
  • :confused: Actually no. My mum is disabled and gets barely enough benefits to cover living costs, and she doesn't get any extra money to cover travel.

I think it's a great idea and I don't mind paying my taxes towards this as it takes some of the resposibility of having to arrange travel for her from myself and other family members. Of course there are people who will take advantage, but this is the case with most government schemes.

:T
    I love my boys! William born 08/01/08 and andrew born 22/2/09.
  • Fraserca wrote:
    Nice to know that folk can travel free.

Don't people get money ( pensions/ benefits ) which is designed to pay for day to day costs including travel ?

mmmm...Bitter... when you are disabled you sometimes have no option than to use puclic transport - public transport is extremely expensive if it is your only means of transport. There are some disabilities that can mean you cannot drive but do not receive disability benefits. I thought that this concession (buses..not national express) was nationwide as from April 2006.
    With regard to benefits and pensions being received to cover day to day costs.. well that could apply to milk..school dinners...rent...prescriptions...glasses ...all of these are available free to people on certain benefits - we dont question why they are not paid out of the benefitreceived. I think the travel scheme is great..just wish it could apply before 9am!
    I have had brain surgery - sorry if I am a little confused sometimes ;)
  • Fraserca wrote:
    QUOTE]

disabled public transport is a nightmare in my area, buses have stairs or are so crowded with prams you can't get on with a wheel chair, taxi's are the only real option if you can't get a car (not everyone drives/knows someone who can drive them about) i'm happy to pay for it, but would rather the money went of giving everyone public transport service they can use, before it makes it free.
    Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.
    Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
  • Whits
    Whits Posts: 213 Forumite
    As a bus driver (but only for 3 more days :D), we have free transport for OAP and Concession card holders in the Yorkshire area, it used to cost 35p.

We have seen a massive increase in passenger numbers. For example, Huddersfield to Wakefield takes about 1h15m by bus or 25m on the train. As the train journey costs 35p, people use the bus instead even though it takes longer, consequently, we run late nearly all the time.

I don't know if it's a good or bad thing, all I know is that since pensioners stopped paying 35p, we never have any change.
  • Its the same in south yorkshire! i think we were a test area or somthing but its been going a while :D
    Fraserca wrote:

my mum is disabled and when I need to look after her full time and get carers allowance there isn't enough money to live on between us and we eat into savings... but disabled people don't deserve an extra helping hand by the rest of society do they? they should be greatful for the pittance they get and if they want a better quality of life they should get off their lazy backsides and work not expect an civilised society to give a small amount of money to make life just a little bit easier
  • Its the same in south yorkshire! i think we were a test area or somthing but its been going a while :D

my mum is disabled and when I need to look after her full time and get carers allowance there isn't enough money to live on between us and we eat into savings... but disabled people don't deserve an extra helping hand by the rest of society do they? they should be greatful for the pittance they get and if they want a better quality of life they should get off their lazy backsides and work not expect an civilised society to give a small amount of money to make life just a little bit easier

moneysaverandy: jeez, I hope that last paragraph was in the spirit of irony...

Whits: do you have an internet link to / know where I can get further info on this Yorkshire travel scheme, please?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure