We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Small peppers

Options
Had great success in the geenhouse last year with bell peppers.

Had five plants and got some decent size peppers and plenty of them.

Thought I would try and increase on that this year and have about fifteen plants.

Peppers are really small though and turning red before they have reached a decent size to pick.

Have I sat them too close together by being greedy? lol

Any advice gratefully received.

Thought I would be picking them and freezing them by now like last year.
Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,428 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    What variety are they? Some are small on purpose

Growing too close together is often used to produce "mini" veg, so your overall crop weight may be same, but made up of much smaller peppers
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It partly depends on variety and also on what size pots you grow them in. If you use growbags, I would opt for a maximum of 3 plants and preferably 2. I used to grow bell shaped peppers and found most of them were quite small. For the past year I've grown an Italian long pointed variety and used bigger 8" pots into which I've also mixed manure and chicken manure pellets and the peppers are developing into the same size as those you can buy in supermarkets. If you pick some of the flowers off, the remaining peppers which develop will be bigger. The more flowers you have on the plant which you allow to grow into peppers, the smaller your individual fruits will be.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure