We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Foragers - Is Autumn coming early?

Options
carrotcruncher
carrotcruncher Posts: 81 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 20 August 2009 at 10:44AM in Gardening
Hi,

Just watching BBC news saying that conkers are here early this year, they flowered two weeks earlier, so are ready earlier.

Does this mean other things you can forage will be ready earlier??? :confused:

I'm new to this and whilst out walking the dogs I have seen sloes, walnuts, pears, apples, damsons etc but am wondering the best times to harvest?

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks

Carrotcruncher

Comments

• avantra
    avantra Posts: 1,327 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

Just watching BBC news saying that conkers are here early this year, they flowered two weeks earlier, so are ready earlier.

Does this mean other things you can forage will be ready earlier??? :confused:

I'm new to this and whilst out walking the dogs I have seen sloes, walnuts, pears, apples, damsons etc' but am wondering the best times to harvest?

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks

Carrotcruncher

Absolutely!

I reckon about two to three weeks here in the south-west, harvest as much as you need as all of this fruits will be rotten by mid September.

Blackberries are at their best at the moment, if you like damson and crab apples (not my cup of tea tho) it's also only a week or so before they are fully ripe.

P.S
    I have noticed a lot of the autumn edible mushrooms are out in the forests around us.
    Five exclamation marks the sure sign of an insane mind!!!!!

Terry Pratchett.
  • MunnyBoiler
    Options
    I was thinking that things such as apples, blackberries and damsons were ripe earlier this year by a few weeks. Usually it is September when we pick everything but we are picking our apples and damsons this weekend plus we'll go to the local park to pick blackberries.

Next week will be busy making lots & lots of jam........
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We have picked Damsons, pears sloes and blackberries this week. The damsons are purple but a bit sour so will make good Jam and wine.
    The trees in the hedgerows are dripping with fruit so will go back again when they are a bit sweeter for crumbles and pies to freeze.

ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• buxtonrabbitgreen
    Options
    You all just reminded me that I noticed a crab apple tree in the park a couple of weeks ago. Off to have a look tomorrow now. I am not bothering with blacberries this year as we have all decided we don't actually like them.
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination:beer:

Oscar Wilde
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family