We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Why haven't my flowers bloomed this year?

Options
I don't have alot of flowers around the garden, but this year we had pleanty of leaf but nothing else:confused:

In sping had a few tulips and daffodils, we had pleanty of leaf but not 1 flower in site.

At the min I have a few sunflowers, they are about 4-5ft high, again with pleanty of leaf but not a flower in sight, infact they have been like this for the past 5-6 weeks, this time last year they where up bloomed and had died by this stage.

The only thing I did different this year was apply lawn feed in the spring, I suppose our summer this year has been awful.

Anyone any ideas as to why I have had a garden full of non bloomers this year?

Comments

• peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did you put lawn feed on the flower bed? If so thats the source of the problem. Lawn feed if mainly a nitrogen feed to make the grass grow and stay green, you don't want grass to flower. A water with a balanced feed like Miracle Grow will possibly have time to allow some flowers this year. If not make sure the flowers are fed next year as per the instructions on the packet.
    By the way, down here the weather has been quite reasonable and certainly nothing to complain about, now if only I had some time off to enjoy it.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, lawn feed is leaf feed ie nitrogen based.
    Val.
  • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    Options
    I have'nt had that many flowers up to now although strangely enough the bedding plants I put in are all starting to flourish now,when they should be starting to die off a bit.
    They did'nt seem to budge for weeks.
    I've just found it a funny year all round for my garden.
    Nothing's grown true to form for some reason although I've done everything the same.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure