PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

buying property in orlando were do i start ?

Options
i am thinking of purchasing a villa in orlando florida
i have been numerous times and think now is the right time to invest there.
where do i start ? :confused:
checked out google so far, but no real good info found
can anyone point me in the right direction of usefull web sites,reliable agents who will guide me through the process :T
many thanks in advance for all your comments

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,702 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why not go back to Orlando and visit realtors there. You'll be on the spot and can obviously do viewings.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Will you need a mortgage over there?
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • jarjarmustdie
    Options
    sorry forgot to say i am going for 2 weeks in early september.
    have enough for a good deposit but yes i will need to get a mortgage
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 August 2009 at 10:09PM
    Options
    in which case can I recommend someone to you? Just a small company (hence it's probably not the most flashy website) but last time I heard this guy was one of only three qualified mortgage brokers in this country for the state of Florida. I don't have any property in Florida hence I'm not up to date on exactly how many there are these days...

but he's proved himself a superbly organised and helpful UK mortgage advisor over the 10 years that I have known him :)

http://midvalefinancial.ifa-web.co.uk/SBIZ/SBX00717.nsf/All+Documents/73B9DC931F7329188025735B00539AF8?OpenDocument

Is that a Star Wars reference, your user name? If it is, you'll get on with each other, lol!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • themanbearpig
    Options
    Property is dirt cheap there now! It seems like a great time to buy. Be aware of the problems getting buildings insurance, due to the hurricanes.
  • Ian_W
    Ian_W Posts: 3,778 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 19 August 2009 at 10:24PM
    Options
    And just to give you a choice THIS CO is long established for overseas mortgages in many countries. Not a recommendation, have never used them and TBH found them a bit expensive when I was buying overseas.

They seem to be suggesting max LTV in Florida is 50% which seems quite low.

EDIT to add:
    You might also want to have a look HERE - it's the Orlando version of RightMove by the look of it.
  • jarjarmustdie
    Options
    many thanks for all the info so far:beer:
    keep it coming :j
  • lagoslife
    lagoslife Posts: 163 Forumite
    Options
    I would also post the same question to some USA expat forums to get feed back from people who have gone through the same process.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57
    http://www.expatfocus.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=16
    http://www.expatforum.com/expats/

Hope this helps.
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is probably not going to be a popular reply but I will post it anyway. Before you purchase abroad do all your sums well.
    You will not only have the purchase price but the cost of upkeeping your house. Remember the costs of power/water.
    Homes in the US are really only built for a twenty year lifespan particullaly in Florida were the sun/heat has fast detremental effects. The cost of hurricaine insurance is big, I have a home in the hurricaine belt, not Florida and my hurricaine insurance is 3K a year.
    If you plan to rent your property look into the with holding taxes of the state on rentals, you may need to pay state tax as well as UK tax on your rental income.
    If you have a pool you need to factor in the ongoing cost of pool maintainace, chemicals and water. In the sun pool levels fall quickly and pools need to be topped up ofen on a baily basis which can end up expensive. Pool maintainance fees when you are not there need to be adressed.
    You will also need a gardener handy man to maintain the outside of your home, you cannot expect to do this just on your twice yearly visits. Who is going to shutter up for you in the event of a hurricaine?
    Also factor in Terminex treatment to prevent insect infestation. I could go on but I would say is Orlando is large and sprawling and older areas become old quickly, the prices start to fall as people move to the newer developments and the less desirable neighbours move in.
    If you buy in Orlando and you need your money out remember that Real Estate agents in the US charge big bucks you maty be asked for 71/2% to sell your house, that may be a laege chunk of your profit. Prices are cheap because there is so much on the market and your will be just one more!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure