JSA : Contribution based to Income Based

Options
My contribution based JSA is shortly to end. Does the Jobcentre automatically ask me to claim for income based at the end of the entitlement, or do I have to make a claim prior to my entitlement to contribution based coming to an end?

I did try and ask the last time I attended the Jobcentre,but the guy said he had no idea !!!!:confused::confused:

Comments

• fazste
    fazste Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    My job centre sent me a letter saying that my NI based jsa was coming to an end and to apply for income based- the people at the job centre then did mention to me that it was finishing and to fill out the income based application booklet. I, however wouldn't rely on them to tell you everything and would inquire at your next meeting or pop in at a time that suits you.
    They should take a note of when your NI based jsa ends and start your income based one from that date so you don't lose out on any benefits, the application can take a while to process by all accounts (my jsa ran out on July 9th and I'm still waiting for income based jsa to start)
    hope that helps
    Steve.
  • jessbob
    jessbob Posts: 949 Forumite
    Options
    fazste wrote: »
    My job centre sent me a letter saying that my NI based jsa was coming to an end and to apply for income based- the people at the job centre then did mention to me that it was finishing and to fill out the income based application booklet. I, however wouldn't rely on them to tell you everything and would inquire at your next meeting or pop in at a time that suits you.
    They should take a note of when your NI based jsa ends and start your income based one from that date so you don't lose out on any benefits, the application can take a while to process by all accounts (my jsa ran out on July 9th and I'm still waiting for income based jsa to start)
    hope that helps
    Steve.

Thanks, Steve

Will give them a call to see what to do, and when to apply. Surely there must be someone that works there that knows what to do !
  • busy_mom_2
    busy_mom_2 Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jessbob wrote: »
    My contribution based JSA is shortly to end. Does the Jobcentre automatically ask me to claim for income based at the end of the entitlement, or do I have to make a claim prior to my entitlement to contribution based coming to an end?

I did try and ask the last time I attended the Jobcentre,but the guy said he had no idea !!!!:confused::confused:

New staff in jobcentres are not benefit trained in any way so this guy may have no idea where to look on the system.

You should be sent a letter telling you what date you conts is due to finish. You will then need to complete a JSA3 and they will then re asses you for income based JSA.
  • jessbob
    Options
    busy_mom wrote: »
    New staff in jobcentres are not benefit trained in any way so this guy may have no idea where to look on the system.

You should be sent a letter telling you what date you conts is due to finish. You will then need to complete a JSA3 and they will then re asses you for income based JSA.

Thank you. Can I complete the JSA3 now, or do I have to wait until my contribution based finishes?
  • busy_mom_2
    busy_mom_2 Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jessbob wrote: »
    Thank you. Can I complete the JSA3 now, or do I have to wait until my contribution based finishes?

You can complete it up to 2 week before the contributions are due to end.
  • jessbob
    Options
    busy_mom wrote: »
    You can complete it up to 2 week before the contributions are due to end.

Thanks, Busy

You are a star

Will get a form from JCP this week

;)
  • jessbob
    edited 19 August 2009 at 7:29PM
    Options
    Been to JSP for the JSA3. Been AGES filling it in. do I need to get anotherMI12 form from them? I completed one of these when I first claimed JSA, but they did not do anything with it, as I am claiming my mortgage payments through a payment protection insurance.

Many thanks

confused:confused:
  • shazza1234_2
    Options
    if i work 34 hrs a week and earn under £18000 will my partner get income based jsa after six months, can anyone help?
  • shazza1234_2
    Options
    if i earn less than 18000 and work 34 hrs a week can my partner claim it after 6 months ?
  • magic57
    magic57 Posts: 736 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Any advice please. How much NI do you have to have paid to be able to claim contributions based job seekers allowance?

Would someone with contributions based job seekers get any housing benefit for rent or council tax? If so do you have to make a separate claim?

Thank you. This is sooo confusing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport