Renovating Solid Wood Doors

Options
We've just bought a really old Victorian flat, and are in the process (about to start) renovating it. Pretty much everything needs replacing, but whilst taking the doors off their hinges today, I couldn't believe how heavy they were! I assume that under the paint they are some kind of solid hard wood, as nothing else could be that heavy.

Is there anything I could do to restore these? I can strip the paint, sand them down and varnish them, but is there an easy way of making them look a little more attractive, maybe using a router?

Comments

• ukjoel
    ukjoel Posts: 1,468 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have a look in yellow pages and get a company to chemical dip them.
    They take the doors away and bring them back and its about £20 - £30 a door.

If the doors are as solid and are originals you will be amazed at the way they look when they come back.

A friend of mine had hers done and they looked stunning. Lot less faff and better results than sanding yourself. Lot cheaper than new doors.
  • markie1980
    Options
    If you are wanting to add detail with a router, does that mean that they are completly smooth?
    If so, There's a good chance that they will be 4 panel doors covered with hardboard. (This was a phase years ago, to make doors more modern looking!)
  • slummymummyof3
    Options
    Be careful stripping them yourself as they could have lead paint on them. We had some dipped and they came back looking stunning.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure