Nice Place on the sea to retire too....

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Scotland
15 replies 1.5K views
bonnie_scotsmanbonnie_scotsman Forumite
22 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Scotland
Hello,My folks have just retired and are looking to move to Scotland to be nearer their grandchildren.They would like on live somewhere on the coast, somewhere they could bring their dogs for long walks, somewhere that feels safe, and the village/small town be quite twee. Also within 1hr 1/2 - 2 hour drive from motherwell.I know its a lot to ask on a smallish budget but any ideas.Many thanks in advance.

Replies

• scotsbobscotsbob Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Largs or Helensburgh and surrounding areas fit your bill.
  • sandiepsandiep Forumite
    915 Posts
    Down the Ayrshire coast property prices can be quite a lot cheaper. Partic once you get past Largs.

I live in Girvan, whithin your distance, small fishing town just down the road from turnberry and by the Ailsa Craig, and you can get one heck of a lot of bricks for your £ here. Lots of space for walks.

Places like Saltcoats, Ardrossen etc, again you can you get a lot of house for your budget.

Largs, West Kilbride etc are all very nice twee, but then the prices are a lot more expensive. and you pay through the nose for a sea view. Helensburgh ditto, Dumbarton might be worth a though, it's a mixed town property wise, some dross but there are some good properties in there also.

The New M77 motorway means that Ayr is only just over 1/2 hour now from Glasgow, that's a nice town with a good community about it.
  • North Berwick or Fife towns such as St Monans, Elie, Anstruther and Crail are some of the most wonderful places I've ever been. All within 1-2 hours drive.
  • I know it is not on the sea but you can get nice properties in the Clyde Valley near the river and that is close to Motherwell.
  • Skermorlie or Wemyss Bay just outside Largs are both nice.
  • john0612john0612 Forumite
    412 Posts
    barassie or troon perhaps
  • North Berwick/Gullane are lovely but pricey. also Port Seton too on the east coast
  • NoshtNosht Forumite
    744 Posts
    Pricewise, safety & walking Largs is the best option.
    Really good transport services to Glasgow & beyond, shopping & choice of leisure facilities.

Regards,

N.
    Never be afraid to take a profit. ;)
    Keep breathing. :eek:
    Just because I am surrounded by FOOLS does not make me wise. :j
  • gar123gar123 Forumite
    32 Posts
    what sort of budget are you looking at if you are comfortable posting that and people could suggest some ideas
  • best place would be as the others suggested is ayr/largs/saltcoats. i have family on that side and the views over the sea are gorgeous.

i live n e fife and the fishing villages such as st monans, pittenweem,anstruther, crail are lovely but its a heck of a way to come considering all the wee country roads you need to drive through...i find it tedious and i have been going down that way ever since i was a baby.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco launches its first ever...

...checkout-free supermarket store

MSE News

25+ ways to stop scams

Plus what to do if you're a victim

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

The Body Shop, Holland & Barrett etc

MSE Deals