Which shares for 2005 ??

Options
As per a previous post, i think its fair to say my 5.65 Aer in cahoot is about the best ime going to get in terms of Rate, but what about the stock market ?? its done fairly well this year, but a few analysts are saying 2005 will be far less productive, even so if you wanted to buy some shares, which sectors/ companies would you recommend to put say a couple of grand in too ??
They call me Mr Pig!

Comments

• deemy2004
    deemy2004 Posts: 6,201 Forumite
    Options
    shell - Oil play - Long-term
    vodafone - spec play
    scottish power - Long-term
    Barings Eastern Europe Trust - Spec stock
    Index Linked Government Stock - Long-term stability to portfolio - High % stake
    United Utilities - Stable utility
    Lloyds TSB - Undervalued - high dividend
    Severn Trent & Water - Stable utility
    Evolution Group - Low cap
    Northgate Information Solutions - Low cap

P.S. I hold stock in all of the above , so a case of money where my mouth is ;D

Always look at the fundamentals of the company if they are sound then you can't go wrong in a stable to rising market.
  • cheerfulcat
    cheerfulcat Posts: 3,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I like high-yielding shares and I think that they will prove popular over the next year or so. Like Deemy, I hold United Utilities and Lloyds.I also like ( and hold ) Pilkington ( glass ), Tate & Lyle and Viridian for high yield, though TATE's price has gone up a good bit , bringing the divi down to 3.96%.

My speculative portfolio is mostly small oil exploration and production companies; there's some good info on TMF's Oil & Gas board

http://boards.fool.co.uk/Messages.asp?mid=9006270&bid=50029

I hold shares in Hardman, Soco and Dana and expect them to do very well indeed :-)

But as always, DYOR

HTH

Cheerfulcat
  • blinko
    blinko Posts: 2,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    carin i would i be a bit late on that boat
  • deemy2004
    Options
    Cairn is volatile to say the least, but fundementals are good !

Personally, I wouldn't, did look into Ramco, but their fundementals are extremely bad !

So still searching for the next Cairn.
  • blinko
    Options
    So still searching for the next Cairn
    oh isnt everybody :) , although i havent been following the stock market for a long time i can honestly say i have never seen share price rise so quickly.

on another note i think oil prices will drop in the future, due to china and the well i doubt the US will but i definately think countries will try to turn to greener energy in the future.

but to be honest most traders i read about seem to go for the smaller more proftiable shares where good levels of growth can actually be made, although i guess theres onyl one way to find out see finiancial reports in the begging on 2005
  • numberthree
    Options
    I have no specific recommendations as at the moment my present track record is a bit dodgy - I hold Henlys and Jarvis shares! I did OK before I took a punt on these though!

I would suggest taking a look at the Motley Fool website (https://www.fool.co.uk) and checking out the discussion boards once you have chosen a share to invest in, just to get a feel of what other investors are saying before you take the plunge. It's not foolproof by any means but can be very useful.

Good luck 8)
    AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0033 come and join us :j make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board
  • johnllew
    johnllew Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    Options
    HBOS

Tesco

Vodafone

Their time has come.
  • blinko
    Options
    jarvis shares :( oh dear well good luck with them either way, tesco seems like it is indestructable, i bet you there xmas profits are decent compared to other retailers. although they did have a good result i think in there 3rd quarter this year so maybe they have peaked. ??
  • deemy2004
    Options
    Yeh Tesco's is like the terminator   :D

I think what was strong in 2004 will continue in 2005.

As for oil, even if it falls and stays low, were still talking about $35 per barrel ! that price carries a very big fat profit margin in it, even if the $ is weak.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure