We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

How can I get free makeover.

Options
2»

Comments

• jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have had many free make-overs, I don't mind as I pick up tips and tricks that way!

I have my own experience of them but here is what I had found in a nutshell:

Benefit- very minimal, great for the natural look, very easy to see whats going on and see what the products do.

Mac- Fantastic for colour and style, not for the faint hearted if you want to try colour- they can do a more minimal look, but what they do best is the wild-side of make up- I have had them try classic looks on me and they never seem to do them as well as they do the bold fashionable looks. They talk you through what they do and the place I would rate first for make-up tricks and tips.

Estee Lauder- Now I have had two make overs by these people. For me, two is enough- they seriously seemed to love to slap on the slap! I felt like I had my face in plaster- it did not look or feel good. Maybe better suited to the type of person who wants others to know they have foundation on. Thats not me.

Lancome- Only had make-up done here once. They seem to be very high tech with their products- lots of things have special techniques that few if any other brands offer. They did my makeup in a very sheer classic way, the emphasis seemed to be on my skin looking flawless and using products to enhance that. Less on the eyes (shimmer) and what felt like a more private experience as some others will have you sat in a main walkway, the Lancome's I have seen all seem to make a point of having you sat out of the way of passing/pushing customers. (a good thing).

Clinique- they didn't do a makeup make over, it was focused on skin and was very very quick. Not sure if it classifies as a makeover- have been to clinique counters many times, always the same. Maybe its just me?!

Clarins- again, not make-up, more skin care, although they did replace my foundation and mascara after doing the skin care. Very nice stuff, took their time and was a good facial. All free and absolutly no pressure to buy. Wish I could afford them!

OP, when you do go for a make-over, try to chose somewhere you feel comfortable, check out where the seats are, how the makeup person looks/do you rate her look (wish I had asked myself this as the Estee Lauder counters!!) and also the time of day- its best to go when you and the counter are not busy. Try mid week, eariler in the day, pre-lunch time is better then afternoon as the staff are free to focus on you and not trying to run the counter at the same time. You can book in advance at places like Mac where they will ask for a deposit of £25 which is then redeemable against any products you want- and you don't have to buy what they use.

Go to as many counters as you want, they are mainly all free or have free sessions in promotional weeks. I still go and I have been wearing make-up for many many years, I go as I like to pick up new tips and ideas and how-to for fashion ideas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport