Cleaning greasy wooden kitchen cupboard doors?

Options
13»

Comments

• positivelymummy
    Options
    mandi wrote: »
    Sprays wont work , but a pan scrub ( the coiled type ) and Jif , work like magic :)

thats what i use for my wooden kitchen cupboards:beer:
    for cutting through grease, i would use something like lemon juice or vinegar, kitchen sprays remove dirt, but you need something to cut through the grease, i would make a paste with lemon juice or vinegar and plain household salt (to help rub it on) and use a plastic pan scrub.
    totally a tog!:D
  • minnie123
    minnie123 Posts: 2,133 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Just got back from the greasy kitchen and the sugar soap has really helped - it prob needs another going over but a vast improvement.

Blackpool saver I didn't mean to snap earlier, it's difficult circumstances in which i'm moving and I have a lot of stress in dealing with a lot of things at the moment not your fault at all so I am sorry. I have got a lot of sarcy comments before when I have posted outside of the comps board and was half waiting for the first one to come along and I assumed (wrongly) that was how you meant it.
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Options
    No probs Minnie, lots of stress here too ((((group hug)))
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• pandora205
    pandora205 Posts: 2,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Be careful if you are thinking of steam cleaning. I did this with my (not very greasy) waxed pine dresser and it took all the wax off (of course!). It took ages and ages to get them back to the way they used to look, with lots of waxing. It didn't actually damage the wood - it just stripped everything back to bare pine.

If you do steam clean, try somewhere inconspicuous first. (Steam cleaners work fantastically on tiles, most floors, glass window sills, etc. but not on unvarnished wood!)
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
  • Rockporkchop
    Options
    Minnie, I use Pledge Soapy Wood Cleaner for my kitchen doors. It's really good. You can get it in any supermarket (and most pound shops) but here is a link to show what the bottle looks like:

http://www.choiceful.com/choiceful-id-18257-Pledge-Soapy-Cleaner-For-Wood-500ml.html
  • maggie111
    maggie111 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Options
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    Just beat me to it.:cool:

I see this time we posted on the same minute!!

Blackpool Saver - I have no idea why I assumed you were a man!! How strange!

Minnie - Glad it's all sorted with the cupboards! Will bare sugar soap in mind for next time. I always appreciate an update on a solution! Didn't mean to have a go earlier, I have often done the same thing, and have now learnt my lesson, just thought I would teach it to you too :)
    I love surprises!
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 August 2009 at 3:43AM
    Options
    My sister swears by Orange Glo wood cleaner - and it smell gorgeous and gives her kitchen doors a lovely shine too.

I've looked online for it though and I can't find it for sale in the UK anymore.

This is the stuff, but this is an American site. I can't understand why it's not available here anymore. :confused:

http://www.orangeglo.com/c-woodcare.html

Edited again! This is from the same people that make the Orange Glo. It's called Golden Oil and it's said to remove grease. I remember now that i've seen in being demonstrated on QVC - it's orange too. http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.826158/walk.yah.UKHG~U078
  • joyce341
    joyce341 Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    when cleaning wood that is very dirty,I use Linseed oil and wire wool,works for me but I suppose its whar you are prepared to try.
    Joyce
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport