Bathroom - Tiling - refurb enq/help?

Options
Just a quick question for those in the know - ive had the bathroom gutted ( originally had a bath and lino, tiles on walls ) im getting everything tiled , the wall tiles have some off , the tiles around the bath area are a little damp from the back - the builder said it wasnt sealed properly, he is going to put in some plaster board and tile over this. I was wondering, shouldnt there be like a waterproof 'things' ? i was watching a video on video jug ans it showd the guy putting a black waterproof sheet behind the tiles?!
am i just being daft ? the builder seems genuine, im just being careful!!

plz help! any1 :)

Thanks

Comments

• mighty_mondo
    Options
    no need for any waterproof sheet behind the tiles, as long as some sort of seal is used at the tile/bath junction you'l be fine

either use a tile bath strip or tile down onto the edge of the bath and silicone seal along the bath water wont get behind the tiles and soak the plasterboard

you can also get your tiler to use water resistant tile adhesive (mainly used in shower areas)
  • andyhop
    andyhop Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    no need for any waterproof sheet behind the tiles, as long as some sort of seal is used at the tile/bath junction you'l be fine

either use a tile bath strip or tile down onto the edge of the bath and silicone seal along the bath water wont get behind the tiles and soak the plasterboard

you can also get your tiler to use water resistant tile adhesive (mainly used in shower areas)

You are not a proffesional

Grout is not water resistant and will absorb the water in the long term

Get the walls tanked with a Homelux tanking membrane and sealed into the edge of the bath. cost is around £60 in material per bathroom and if fitted correctly gives a 100% water tight seal
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • Pssst
    Pssst Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I guess he will be using the special heavier duty water resistant plasterboard product which is suitable for bathrooms??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure