We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
N Power
I moved into a house with my partner 2 years ago. The electric was with N Power and I kept phoning them to tell them that I was living there and they just ignored me. Anyway about a year later i had a nice bill of £1000 for electric and they put in a pre payment meter. I then moved house and notified N Power and 6 months later im still waiting for my pre payment meter. Im now £1700 in debt with them. I received a letter of them the other day and I noticed that they have spelt my surname wrong. Am I still liable for this bill because of this mistake. Im moving house again this week and want a new electric supplier. If I was to change suppliers would I still be able to pay the N Power debt of in instalments?
0
Comments
-
Ostrich syndrome?
Your debts won't magically disappear; you used the energy and you have to pay for it.
Suppliers can back bill for up to 1 year without any restriction.
It's unlikely nPower will allow you to change supplier with an existing debt with them"Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 20100 -
Who said I was trying to do a runner from them? It was a simple question I was just wondering if I was still liable for it because it was in a different name and if I paid it can they try and get the money in my name spelt correctly as well. If you read my post properly I asked if anyone knew if I could switch suppliers and be able to PAY my debt off in instalments. So as for Ostrich Syndrome I think not.0
-
They are most likely to sell the debt to scottcall / bcw to hound you and they can then do what they like inc get a ccj via the courts. Your name will be classed as an alias0
-
When my partner & I moved into this house 6 years ago, we got into a protracted mess with electricity suppliers because we'd arranged to take our own supplier with us, but the changeover didn't happen (they unhelpfully didn't tell us, for which I later got a bit of compensation) because the previous owner of the house had basically done a runner owing another supplier over £3,000. We received letter after letter from the company owed the money, I made loads of phonecalls (all at my expense), wrote extremely assertive letters giving proof that we were the new owners & was still getting endless cards & calls from debt collection agencies nearly two years later. All I could tell them was that this person used 2 names, and the region she had moved to. So from our experience, I think I'd say that these companies don't give up without a massive effort to get their money & fair enough if they are owed it.2026's challenges: 1) To rebuild our Emergency Fund to at least £5k.
2) To read 50 books (12/50) 3) The Re-Shrinking of Foxgloves 8.1kg/30kg
Remember....if you have to put it on a credit card, extend your overdraft or take out a loan to buy whatever it is, you probably can't afford it, as that's not your money, it's somebody else's!0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
