Do Not use Brunel Franklin

Options

Comments

• turkey_mike
    Options
    P.s. Maybe Dunstonh being an IFA thinks £15.6 is a small amount but to me it's a hell of a lot that I would not have if it wasn't for a 3rd party which I guess is what an IFA is. And a quick Google found this info from the Telegraph...
    But comparing costs isn't always easy: some advisers charge hourly fees (usually around £200 per hour), others levy a one-off fee for specific tasks. According to Unbiased, an initial review costs £500 on average.
    Note to self don't use an IFA they charge too much instead look for help on MSE;)
  • turkey_mike
    turkey_mike Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 October 2017 at 3:08PM
    Options
    IAmWales wrote: »
    A high payout means you had an incredibly high level of debt. You're pleased with the outcome, and that's what matters, but I doubt you're going to be congratulated for getting into that situation in the first place.

This was from 1993 and they had no detailed records going back that far so they worked out from then until 2017 how much I was owed which was about 24 years of interest, but thank you for sort of congratulating me, but again calling me without the full facts, having a loan to buy a car and paying it off in full isn't something I would call someone for but the problem was the PPI that I wasn't made aware of which I believe is why Martin went on his crusade to get it back for us and for that I thank him.:T
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    P.s. Maybe Dunstonh being an IFA thinks £15.6 is a small amount but to me it's a hell of a lot

It is a lot. So, is the £5k you paid the claims company.

You had to provide the claims company the information they put on their form (which is just a version of the forms you get on this site, the FOS or providers own sites). You gave the information, they wrote it on the form and posted it.

By the time you gave the information, you could have written it yourself on the form, copied the form as many times as needed and send it to each provider. That is all the CMC did.
    Note to self don't use an IFA they charge too much instead look for help on MSE

A claims company is staffed by unqualified, unregulated individuals whose purpose is to get you signed up so they can earn £5k for 5 minutes work.

An IFA is qualified and regulated and generally deals in more complicated areas. Some of which can be done quite successfully if you have the time and knowledge to DIY. A couple of weeks ago, I saved someone over £70,000 in tax that they did not realise they would have to pay if they did it the way they intended. My fee was £500. MSE would not have given them that advice as it was not a bread and butter transaction.

It seems strange that you would not use a qualified individual to do something but are quite happy to pay 10x more to an unqualified individual to stick a stamp on an envelope.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • turkey_mike
    Options
    Dunstonh you still don't understand I would not have bothered if I hadn't seen their ad next to an article I was reading, I would not have spent five minutes to send a couple of letters to banks that I did not think I had any PPI with, the one's I thought would have had PPI didn't and so I would have wasted a couple of stamps and five minutes and be oblivious to the £15k.
    Congratulations on saving someone over £70k in tax wow that's a lot of tax, they must earn a hell of a lot more than myself and most others on here, but hey £70k is £70k not in the Governments coffers.
    I thought MSE and it's forum were here to help and offer advice not have a go at fellow members for doing what Martin tells us to do even if not the free way he recommends, silly me.
  • turkey_mike
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    It seems strange that you would not use a qualified individual to do something but are quite happy to pay 10x more to an unqualified individual to stick a stamp on an envelope.

Funny nowhere have I said that I was happy that BF got £5k of my PPI, what I did say was that I was happy to get £15k, the one that has said I am happy about the £5k is you, followed by several others commenting on five minutes and stamps.
    Sorry it was a flippant remark about using an IFA as I doubt I will ever earn enough to be able to claim back £70k, let alone £500 for advice that you yourself say with a bit of time and knowledge could possibly DIY it, but thanks for giving it out freely on here.:T
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I thought MSE and it's forum were here to help and offer advice not have a go at fellow members for doing what Martin tells us to do even if not the free way he recommends, silly me.
    You do realise that "Martin" makes a point of telling everyone that they should complain alone and for free?

"Martin" (if he still owned this site) would give a similar answer to your posts as you have received here.

Original thread is from 2009.:eek:
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A fool and his money........
  • turkey_mike
    Options
    I find it quite amazing how many of you have not clicked on the Etiquette button and read all of it, but as many of you have not read all that I have said I shouldn't be surprised.

1. I have never said I was happy with the amount BF took it is a lot.
    2. I have said I was silly not to do it for free.
    3. I have said that I would not have written to this bank as I did not think I had PPI with them.
    4.The credit cards I thought had PPI didn't so I would have got nothing.
    5. Moneyineptitude, yes I do know what Martin advises and that he is now just a figure head and you would know that if you had read my posts..
    6. Don't worry Jim I would have been a bigger fool if I had just sent letters to the two credit cards and got nothing, and you would also know that if you had read all of my posts.
    7. To all that have made remarks about stamps and letters, once again I would not have written to this bank as I did not think I had PPI with them BF told me I had, go on click on Etiquette and read it all not just snippets like you have done with my post.
    8. And finally the £15.6k is more than the original loan, so basically I got that car for free even if it has taken 20 years to get the money back and I was silly not to do it myself.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    8. And finally the £15.6k is more than the original loan, so basically I got that car for free even if it has taken 20 years to get the money back

Once adjusted for inflation, I don't think it would be.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    turkey mike the problem is with what you said in this post:
    I can not fault BF in the way they have dealt with my claim and on my experience I can recommend anyone who hasn't claimed, does not think they have PPI and can't be bothered to do it themselves, to use Brunel Franklin and accept that they take a third of your claim.

Even though by using this company they have effectively taken £5000 of your money your recommending people to use them!.

From reading your posts i think the advice should be for people to contact every lender they have ever borrowed from and ask them if they have any records of them having PPI. This would then enable them to make any complaints that they felt were warranted based on that information themselves.
    You may not be aware of this but using a Claims Management Company also reduces the chance of the claim being successful, so that is another reason not to recommend one.

Also you seem very happy to have gotten £15k but you need to remember this was your money all along. Imagine if you had a bank account with £20k in it and you could only withdraw the money in a branch. So you decided to get someone to go and withdraw it for you but they kept £5k and you only got £15k. Would you be celebrating having the £15k as much in that situation with multiple posts online!.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure