We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
electricity supplier switch...now getting humungous bills
FunkyFlowers
Posts: 27 Forumite
Hey all
Nice to meet you, I'm new here, thought I'd join as these are tricky times and it really isn't helping that I've just had a massive electricity bill. I was with Swalec until March when I switched to Manpower who stopped me in the streets. While I was with Swalec I was spending approximately £30 a month in the summer and £50 in the winter. I was on a token meter (had been with them for 8 years but shortly before I switched to Manpower I had a normal meter installed. I then (last week) had my first bill for Manweb based on a meter reading which was £259 for the first quarter. I nearly fell through the floor. This is for the summer months which would mean I am almost spending twice as much with them in the summer as I as with Swalec in the winter. I don't use much electricity as I live in a bed sit with no major appliances. I explained this to them and they seemed to think it was something to do with my leaving readings from Swalec. Hs anyone experienced anything like this and also is there a way I can work out exactly how much electricity I using per unit so I can be armed with this info when they next contact me?
Thanks soooooooo much
Nice to meet you, I'm new here, thought I'd join as these are tricky times and it really isn't helping that I've just had a massive electricity bill. I was with Swalec until March when I switched to Manpower who stopped me in the streets. While I was with Swalec I was spending approximately £30 a month in the summer and £50 in the winter. I was on a token meter (had been with them for 8 years but shortly before I switched to Manpower I had a normal meter installed. I then (last week) had my first bill for Manweb based on a meter reading which was £259 for the first quarter. I nearly fell through the floor. This is for the summer months which would mean I am almost spending twice as much with them in the summer as I as with Swalec in the winter. I don't use much electricity as I live in a bed sit with no major appliances. I explained this to them and they seemed to think it was something to do with my leaving readings from Swalec. Hs anyone experienced anything like this and also is there a way I can work out exactly how much electricity I using per unit so I can be armed with this info when they next contact me?
Thanks soooooooo much
0
Comments
-
I'm surprised your previous supplier let you leave if you were in debt with them.
One unit of Electricity is the same as one Kilowatt hour.
Read the meter weekly and give your supplier that information.
If you want to compare prices try a comparison site like Energyhelpline.That gum you like is coming back in style.0 -
If you were on a token meter and hadn't been updated for a while you might have been paying old prices.0
-
I'm surprised your previous supplier let you leave if you were in debt with them.
...
The OP didn't mention they had any debt with the previous supplier.
They did mention they had a token (pre-payment) meter for many years. Lots of people have these but are not in any debt with their supplier."Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 20100 -
FunkyFlowers wrote: »Hey all
Nice to meet you, I'm new here, thought I'd join as these are tricky times and it really isn't helping that I've just had a massive electricity bill. I was with Swalec until March when I switched to Manpower who stopped me in the streets. While I was with Swalec I was spending approximately £30 a month in the summer and £50 in the winter. I was on a token meter (had been with them for 8 years but shortly before I switched to Manpower I had a normal meter installed. I then (last week) had my first bill for Manweb based on a meter reading which was £259 for the first quarter. I nearly fell through the floor. This is for the summer months which would mean I am almost spending twice as much with them in the summer as I as with Swalec in the winter. I don't use much electricity as I live in a bed sit with no major appliances. I explained this to them and they seemed to think it was something to do with my leaving readings from Swalec. Hs anyone experienced anything like this and also is there a way I can work out exactly how much electricity I using per unit so I can be armed with this info when they next contact me?
Thanks soooooooo much
As I understand it, you had your token/prepayment meter changed to a credit meter shortly before the switch to ManPower
When the meter was changed, you should have been left a card (or other info) detailing the start reading on the meter when it was installed. Check that that matched the start reading from your bill from Swalec with a credit meter.
When you switched, you should have supplied a mewter reading on the date of the switch. It doesn't really matter if you didn't, just check that the meter reading on the final bill from Swalec is the same as that as the initial meter reading from ManPower.
Finally, check the latest meter reading from ManPower is not an estimate, and also check to see if it is reasonably accurate compared to todays reading."Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 20100 -
Hi, thanks for the replies. I wasnt paying old prices on the token meter as they updated them shortly before I had my meter changed, my question really is though...is there a way of me working out how much electricity I am actually using as opposed to what they say I am using?0
-
Sorry for the typos, have edited. Thought maybe that's why no one said anything else!0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards