Virgin 0% on purchases

I was offered 0% on purchases until 7th September 2009 .

Am I correct in assuming that the funds need to be received by 7th September?

I wish these deadlines could be phrased more precisely, i.e. "up to and including".
Dagobert

Replies

• edited 11 August 2009 at 12:22PM
    YorkshireBoyYorkshireBoy Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 11 August 2009 at 12:22PM
    MBNA offers always (in my experience) run until a statement date. Is the 7th September your statement date per chance?

EDIT: Sorry, may have misunderstood your question. You're looking to eek out an extra day? Important?...bearing in mind you've presumably had several months at 0%?

I'd have the payment cleared by 7th September because my reading is that it's 0% until the 7th...when presumably (I know!) it changes to something else.
  • edited 11 August 2009 at 12:50PM
    DagobertDagobert Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    edited 11 August 2009 at 12:50PM
    I agree that it is not worth the risk to gain another day, or in this case 3 as the 7th is a Monday.
    my reading is that it's 0% until the 7th
    So, your reading of until is "up to and exlcluding 7th September".

In this case it would be sufficient for the payment to be received on 7th September.

The sort code accepts Faster payments now. Theoretically, you could then transfer on the 7th.
    Dagobert
  • YorkshireBoyYorkshireBoy Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Dagobert wrote: »
    I agree that it is not worth the risk to gain another day, or in this case 3 as the 7th is a Monday.
    I suspected as much, but didn't check a calendar. ;)
    So, your reading of until is "up to and exlcluding 7th September".
    Yes.
    In this case it would be sufficient for the payment to be received on 7th September.
    I wouldn't gamble myself, due to you then not knowing for a full month whether you were incurring interest or not (for that month, plus trailing interest for the next).

I would ensure my payment had cleared, not just been received, before the 7th.
  • gwapenutgwapenut Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    I had a similar offer, unclear to me too, then later I read somewhere -from MBNA - that it was for "completed" purchases. So play it safe, little to gain and much to lose.
  • DagobertDagobert Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    I shall play it safe and have the funds in by Friday!
    Dagobert
  • MilarkyMilarky Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    I would say they will not charge for 7th September if you paid them on that date - but certainly would not pay them on 8th and still expect not to be charged. The issue then revolves around the best method of payment. This used to be via debit card - because the payment took effect the next working day and so was better than using BACS but does Virgin now accept faster payments? (I know A&L's MBNA card does)
    .....under construction....
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals