HSBC credit card introducing transfer fee

Options
Hi all,

I have read Martins recommendations on "tarting" to avoid interest payments on credit cards, and chose an HSBC card as my first, as they offered 6 months interest free on balance transfers and new purchases. However, along with my shiney new card came a leaflet outlining changes to their terms and conditions, which includes the introduction of a fee for making balance transfers. My question is this: Does this fee only apply to transfers made TO the card? Or will I have to pay a fee when I want to transfer the balance OFF the card when the interest free period expires and I swap to a new one?

FYI Martin if you're reading this - These changes come into effect from the 1st of May 2006, and apply to all balance transfers applied thereafter...

Comments

• gingercordial
    gingercordial Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    HSBC can only charge you for moving a balance to the card. When you transfer the balance elsewhere at the end of the 6 months, HSBC can't charge you for paying off your card (which is what you're doing) although of course your new card provider might charge a fee.
  • MOCHA
    MOCHA Posts: 270 Forumite
    Options
    I hope this doesn't apply to the M&S &MORE card which is a branded HSBC product. Balance transfers on that card are very useful.
  • gingercordial
    gingercordial Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MOCHA wrote:
    I hope this doesn't apply to the M&S &MORE card which is a branded HSBC product. Balance transfers on that card are very useful.

Just watch out for any communications from them, for HSBC it was a little note in with my statement, so make sure you don't miss it if they DO make any changes.
  • charlie12
    charlie12 Posts: 1,668 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MOCHA wrote:

Good point, I wouldn't be surprised if M&S start charging soon too.
  • ti1980
    ti1980 Posts: 1,528 Forumite
    Options
    M&S are to start charging soon. There will be a 2% fee on balance transfers and it is uncapped. This is to start from the 1st June. I got a letter in the post a couple of weeks ago.
  • MOCHA
    MOCHA Posts: 270 Forumite
    Options
    I've not received a letter to that effect yet. It's a great shame because the BT offers have really helped me in the past year.
  • The_Boss
    The_Boss Posts: 5,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    John_Weber wrote:
    Hi,

I just wanted to share this. The web site at

Idiotic Spammer who doesnt know how to start a new topic.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure