Decided not to have a holiday this year!

Options
Hi
Since joining these boards I have learnt so much and managed so far to save myself well over £2000 this year :T

OH is off for a week in May and we had been considering going somewhere cheap for the week---I found a Caravan up in the lakes for £180 and was going to book it
then i thought is this going to leave us short for the rest of the month????YES

It wouldnt only be the £180 then there is the petrol and spends on top of it---bringing it up to about £350 at the least!!!!! So I have decided to just stop at home that week and have some free or cheap days out!!! I realise that this spending on "little cheap breaks" is what has got me in to the mess we are in!!!

I was sooo tempted to book it but a little voice was telling me it was not the right thing to do!! I am going to throw £250 at the credit card instead---leaving £100 for a few treats that week.

Thanks again to everyone on these boards.

I am just writing a letter to Capital One re getting my fees etc back----grand total of £700!!!!! I would never have known I could claim them back if I hadnt read it on here!!
xx
Sealed pot challenge 7...my number is 2144.....started Nov 29th ....

Comments

• snake666
    snake666 Posts: 361 Forumite
    Options
    good for you gilly41 but when you spend the 100 pounds look at the voucher and code page and you might make a bit more of a saving lol
    snake
  • partysis81
    partysis81 Posts: 192 Forumite
    Options
    hi, me and my husband have also decided not to have a holiday this year!
    Instead, we are just having a few day trips here and there throughout the summer with the family.

Also, last sunday we had a free trip to north wales(not a great destination i know), as my brother in law's parents are moving there, and we all went and looked at their nice new cottage. The sun was out all day, and we spent the day at the beach, amusements and shops, and by the end of the day, we'd only spent about £40!!!

We had a break away from boring Birmingham, but without spending a fortune, it can be done!!! :T
    Helen
    xx
    Mother of Twins - Please excuse my "double" baby brain!
  • Ali-OK
    Ali-OK Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Good for you Gilly!

I'm deferring our summer foreign holiday that was booked before I had my lightbulb moment, so me and DS will be at home for almost 3 weeks.

I'm starting to research what we can do locally via Tourist Info office, local papers and the web of course. Hoping we'll do some day trips like Legoland, Warwick Castle, etc and I've already got some free entry vouchers from Woollies.

There's usually a summer hols deal of £1 per head to Brighton return from here by train, so a day on the beach (if sunny!) is being planned too. Ooh and then there's London..again cheap train and Madame Tussauds voucher to use!

Let's hope we have decent weather!
    Back on the DFW Wagon:

CC - £3,300 on 0% til 04/2020
    CC - £4,500 on 0% til 02/2019
    Loan - £12,063.84 as at 4/1/18
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    err......whats wrong with north wales?
    hill walking, beautiful scenery, sailing, canoeing, beaches, castles, nice pubs
    (and i'm not welsh either)
    and whats wrong with Birmingham....i could go on here (and i'm not a brummie either)
  • partysis81
    partysis81 Posts: 192 Forumite
    Options
    CLAPTON wrote:
    err......whats wrong with north wales?
    hill walking, beautiful scenery, sailing, canoeing, beaches, castles, nice pubs
    (and i'm not welsh either)
    and whats wrong with Birmingham....i could go on here (and i'm not a brummie either)

Not everybody loves the city they live in....
    And i wasnt saying there was anything wrong with north wales, it just hasnt been my cup of tea in the past.
    But from my post, you will see i did actually enjoy the day, especially having a nice drink at a pub right on th beach :T
    Helen
    xx
    Mother of Twins - Please excuse my "double" baby brain!
  • fizzel81
    fizzel81 Posts: 1,623 Forumite
    Options
    well done to you for being so strong

dh and i have never had a holiday together living in germany for 3 years meant that for any leave we just came back to uk to spend it with our familys (getting ferry back cost enough at times), this year we have not booked anything as number 3 is due july as tempted as i was and glad now i did not as money would be tight enough without the worry of a holiday.

family live in portsmouth so if the weather is nice and sunny we will stay with them and go to the beach etc.

next year we are going to somerset as we have friends there hopefully we will get a holiday dfw style have thought about the sun newspaper 1s just got to save a little each month for it
    DFW nerd club number 039 :p 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' :money: i will be debt free aug 2010

2008 live on 4k +cb £6,247.98/£6282.80 :T
    sealed pot 2670g
    2009 target £4k + cb £643.89:eek: /£6412.80
  • themaccas
    themaccas Posts: 1,453 Forumite
    Options
    gilly 41, I know just how you feel, we have had several 'cheap' breaks in the past which were anything but that! It's difficult when everyone is booking thier fab summer hols abroad, we're going camping in Cornwall this summer and definately dfw style, even so it will cost us around 4-500 all in for the week for the 5 of us once site fees, petrol, entry fees, food, extra bits of camping gear etc have been bought and paid for.
    Debtfree JUNE 2008 - Thank you MSE:T
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We have a week at the family beach house. Buy some food ( we'll be doing that if we were here anyway) and a few bottles of wine and listen to the waves lap. Getting there on the megabus. Estimated saving of this instead of a "cheapie" in the med about £500. Once you factor in the transfers to airports, expensive food & drinks, costs for hiring sunbeds on beach, plus extra activities....

Makes great financial sense to me...
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • Peppa_Pig_5
    Peppa_Pig_5 Posts: 290 Forumite
    Options
    Well done gilly, it takes a lot to convince yourself not to go on holiday. Its tends to be that everyone thinks they deserve to go on holiday, but sometimes the case is we cannot afford it.

I have been thinking a lot about our holiday this year. We booked it last year and are going with friends to Fuertaventura. It was booked before our lightbulb moment. Sometimes I think that money could be used to pay off a big chunk of the debt, but we are all so looking forward to it. I can console myself in that none will be paid on the credit card as my husband sold his beloved motorbike to pay for the holiday.

I am sure you will have a great time having day trips. I know I would.

Peppa
    x
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I haven't had a holiday I've paid for since 1997. My parents took me to Florida in 2002, but other than that I have maybe gone for a weekend somewhere cut price, but that's it.

This year (next month!) I am going to Duabi to visit a friend so its' just the cost of the flights to pay, but TBH I find the idea of GOING on a holiday a bit weird now.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure