We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Gas Meter

Hi all,

Just wondering do British gas charge for changing a meter? I just had a wiff of gas when I walked past the meter and the pipes going to the meter look rusty. I've turned the gas off for now, do they charge double time because of the weekend?

Comments

  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,448
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    What should I do if I smell gas?

    Contact Transco, the gas emergency service, on 0800 111999. Advice from Transco if you smell gas is:
    • Don’t smoke or strike matches
    • Don’t turn electrical switches on or off
    • Do put out naked flames
    • Do open doors and windows
    • Do keep people away from the affected area
    • Do turn off the meter at the control valve
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • SwanJon
    SwanJon Posts: 2,344
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    As above - call the emergency number.
    There won't be a charge for the visit (although if the leak is inside the property, you would probably need a GasSafe (Nee Corgi) engineer to fix it
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    call the emergency number now it is free to make you safe which if you have a smell of gas is a priority, the emergency engineer will do what they need to do and sort it out and if you need a gas safe engineer or to contact you supplier once the engineer has located leak then they will advise you accordingly.


    also open doors and windows to ventilate the property,
    open doors manually do not use intercoms door bells etc
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.