Self contained flats?

Options
um5000
um5000 Posts: 32 Forumite
edited 10 August 2009 at 1:08PM in Insurance & life assurance
I've been through all the price comparison sites after receiving a ludicrous renewal bill, but the cheapest quotes have the assumption that 'my property is self contained with its own front door'. I live in a flat, which has only one door for the block of six onto the street, but of course I have my own internal front door, to which I alone have access. My idea of 'self contained' suggests a building with an external door (which is what an estate agent would call self contained! But which if the insurance companies agree would disqualify me from these options...). Any thoughts?

Comments

• dogbot
    dogbot Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    Options
    No, a self contained flat has it's own front door, be that internal in a building corridor or onto the street. Self contained also means with no shared facilities like kitchens and bathrooms.
  • um5000
    um5000 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Apparently the insurance co agrees with dogbot, which is good news all round :)
  • JS101
    JS101 Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    yes, self contained flats are those which have their own private residence. however, maximum 4 rooms and electrical sockets must not be connected to the meter.

no sharing of kitchen.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JS101 wrote: »
    yes, self contained flats are those which have their own private residence. however, maximum 4 rooms and electrical sockets must not be connected to the meter.

no sharing of kitchen.

This is not the definition an Insurer uses for a self contained home, its along the lines of what dogbot outlined
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure