Experian National Credit Score

Options
Hi all

Has anyone actually got a National Credit Score from Experian online?

Is it useful and worth paying for? What does it include?

Cheers!

Comments

• Clariman
    Clariman Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is of limited value IMO. Each lender will make their own assessment and use their own credit scoring techniques when you apply for a card or a loan. What Experian do is to make their assessment of your creditworthiness from information in your files. So it could be argued that it gives you an indication of your credit worthiness but not much else. Obviously it is a profitable little earner for Experian.

Calling it "National" Credit Score is a bit rich ... I think "notional" credit score would be more accurate.

Clariman
    Author of the first Stoozing FAQ on the Internet and Creator of the SOA & Snowball calculators at Lemonfool.co.uk
  • The_Boss
    The_Boss Posts: 5,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Doesnt take into account your salary, which could make a big difference to a lender.

Also, when I did an experiment, the only thing that really made a difference to my credit score was if a search was done or removed. Reducing significant amount of debt failed to increase the score! So definitely not much more use than a vague guide.
  • aliwatts
    aliwatts Posts: 651 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I use to work for a debt collection agency and where I worked once a debt had been transferred to them the payment history didnt continue with a credit reference agency, it just listed it as written off.

I don't know how much Experian charge online but we use to tell customers to write to them instead because back then it only cost £1 for a full detailed history. You can get their address from the website, it might be £2 now !

As stated though previously, all stores, banks etc have different scoring systems.

Ali

:j
    :hello: Laugh and smile everyday, it keeps you healthy ! :wave:
    Thanks for everybodies help on here, what a great community !
  • Clariman
    Clariman Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    Options
    aliwatts wrote:
    I don't know how much Experian charge online but we use to tell customers to write to them instead because back then it only cost £1 for a full detailed history. You can get their address from the website, it might be £2 now !

You can find a list of how to get hold of your credit history from here. It includes the statutory £2 report options.

Clariman
    Author of the first Stoozing FAQ on the Internet and Creator of the SOA & Snowball calculators at Lemonfool.co.uk
  • Jim28
    Jim28 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have written to the Post Office to find out why they refused to give me a card and what I can do to become eligible for one. Do you think they will give me some useful advice?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure