We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Taking Norethisterone as going on holiday

Options
Hi
After working out my dates (serveral times!) I find out I'm due my period while on holiday. We're not going anywhere 'rural' or anything like that but I really don't want to start while away as it will put a damper (mildly!) on the whole thing.

I've read about Norethisterone and wondered if that would be a good idea? Would my GP even think of prescribing it for me? I'm pretty healthy and on no medication (not even the pill, ever). I know you can't give medical advice but general experiences if you've taken it would be nice.
To be honest I never go to the GP unless really really necessary and going to ask for this fills me with dread :o as I have no idea what to say but I would if it would help/work, just to delay the period for a week (we go on Sat 15th , I'm due on the Tues and we come back the following Sat 22nd).
Any non medical advice would be appreciated. :D
Thank you to everyone who posts comps! :A
I would like to be lucky,healthy & happy in 2020! :T

Comments

• newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I took it when I'd never had the pill at all. For me it worked just fine. Used it several times (as skiing holidays always seemed to coincide). Had a little water retention and pmt symptoms but it worked fine to stop it. They prescribed it no problem - I went and asked for it specifically. But it's not a contraception at all so they have to just make sure you know that ;)

You have to take more than one a day too I think - and if you forget, and as soon as you stop taking it, you get your period approx 3 days later.

Edit: you have to start taking it 3 days before you are due - so make sure you leave enough time from your dr visit ;)
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • isitenough
    isitenough Posts: 5,593 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for that. Yep, I did some reading on it (what I could find) and knew about the pill popping more than once a day, so not a problem.
    I've got an appointment Monday A.M, so we'll see! I always have PMS symptoms anyway so would expect that. It would make a big difference to keep 'it' on hold for a few days as you can never be sure where toilets are if you want to day trips somewhere, specially travelling home.
  • newlywed
    Options
    Yeah you should try skiing up the mountains and then needing to find a loo ;)
  • isitenough
    edited 6 August 2009 at 12:45PM
    Options
    Lol! Can't imagine how difficult that would be! (never been skiing but can imagine!) just getting out of the clothes could be tricky!
  • newlywed
    Options
    isitenough wrote: »
    Lol! Can't imagine how difficult that would be! (never been skiing but can imagine!) just getting out of the clothes could be tricky!

And you don't even want to think about the loos that are a shower tray in the floor with a hole in it!!!! Ski clothes, ski boots and then trying to squat :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Thankfully only come across a couple of those!!
  • isitenough
    Options
    Thanks for your comments regarding your experience. Just one other question. Did the water retention/PMT symptoms last the whole time you took the pills until you stopped taking them and your period started?
  • raspabarbas
    raspabarbas Posts: 177 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure about the water retention side of it but my two friends took this one year when we were on holiday and they had terrific mood swings. Crying in the bathroom over the smell of the conditioner one minute and then laughing hysterically at something not long after.
    GPs prescribe norethisterone to delay periods very frequently. If you want to look up potential interactions, contraindications and side effects you can check out the online british national formulary (BNF.org) which docs use to check if meds are appropriate.

RB
    Married Ajichombo on 17th April 2010 :j
  • coffeeholic_2
    Options
    I was prescribed norethisterone by my GP about 10 years ago when I needed to delay my period while I was on hols. I don't remember having any bloating or water retention or anything like that while I was taking them.

After I stopped taking them though, for about 3 months I was having 2 periods each month which wasn't pleasant :mad: but it was a small price to pay not to have to worry about my period spoiling my holiday.

This post has just reminded me it'll be my TOTM while I'm on hols next month, so I think a visit to my GP is in order. :D
    All the coffee in Columbia won't make me a morning person... :D:p
    Virtual Sealed Pot Challenge Member #5 - £128.19
    NSDs - April 9/18
    Grocery Challenge - April £22.94/£160
    6 months to slim into clothes challenge - started March 2010
  • isitenough
    edited 7 August 2009 at 12:38PM
    Options
    Many thanks. When you say 2 periods a month, do you mean 1 every couple of weeks for 3 months or was it just the way the dates fell - beginning and the end of the month? Did you get any warning (PMT symptoms) or did they just start?
    I could handle that but only for a short time! Mood swings aren't new to me, so that wouldn't put me off trying it.
  • kjmtidea
    kjmtidea Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    Options
    I was going to ask my doctor for it a couple of months ago because of a holiday, I did a lot of googling first and read all about the side effects, that put me off. I just packed my painkillers and a hot water bottle instead!
    Slimming World - 3 stone 8 1/2lbs in 7 months and now at target :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family