🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Investment Company Liabilities

Options
Was there any responsibilities for companies, eg Bell Lawrie for investing a large proportion of our investment portfolio in the banks and subsequently losing a large amount of our savings, due to the crash?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,713 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    subsequently losing a large amount of our savings

You mean investments and that means the value can go down as well as up. Your savings were not lost. The invesmtents would have been made in line with your risk profile and tolerance to loss.

Unless you believe that the investment companies have a crystal ball that would have told them that the banks were going to suffer as much as they did, then there is very little they can be held liable for.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • turbobob
    turbobob Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    edited 6 August 2009 at 11:52AM
    Options
    As long as these companies shares were within your attitude to risk then I don't think there is any liability on their part. I don't think its typical for these sort of discretionary portfolios to either hedge or use any sort of stop loss. Unless there is a specific agreement that they will do these things to control risk, then I don't think you can expect them to.

The latest Ombudsman news has some examples of complaints they've recently dealt with involving advisory or discretionary stockbrokers.
    http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/PUBLICATIONS/ombudsman-news/78/78-investment-complaints.html
  • whiteflag_3
    whiteflag_3 Posts: 1,395 Forumite
    Options
    PeterAngus wrote: »
    Was there any responsibilities for companies, eg Bell Lawrie for investing a large proportion of our investment portfolio in the banks and subsequently losing a large amount of our savings, due to the crash?

Peter although theres nothing you can do, I sympathise with you as in my experience Bell Lawrie (or Brewin Dolphin) as they are branded now are awful.

I have clients with portfolios with them and their lack of ability is startling. As they cant seem to pick the correct stocks they are now buying funds which begs the question why use a stockbroker?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport