MSE news: Millions of shoppers saving by opting for cheaper brands

Options
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story, specifically to discuss the views expressed in the article:

"The number of shoppers 'downshifting' from expensive brands to cheaper supermarket alternatives has almost tripled over the past year.

Almost three out of four of those sampled now opt for standard supermarket-own labels, up from just a quarter in August 2008, according to research ..."

Comments

• shopndrop
    shopndrop Posts: 3,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I always used to buy Premium Brands and am horrified at how much I WAS willing to pay. Now, I am more than happy with own brands or even the "basics/value" range. Would never have changed without this thread.
  • 1carminestocky
    1carminestocky Posts: 5,256 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    Options
    We are reformed brand snobs who can't actually believe how little our Sainsburys basics shopping costs us each week. In many cases, the value range is actually better for your health on account of its lower fat/salt/sugar content. Don't believe brand snobs who tell you that you are eating 'rubbish'. 'Rubbish' food exists in every price range.
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
  • fedupandskint
    fedupandskint Posts: 10,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I too always bought the Taste the Difference Range from Sainsburys or shopped at M+S. Over this year I have increased the number of Basics items to almost all items and I am perfectly happy with almost all of them.

I am shocked by how much I spent on these things when I now realise how much fat, salt and sugar are in them and how my taste buds adapted to this. As I cook most things from scratch I can't coment on the ready meals

Also now go to Aldi for the Super 6 range.

My shopping bill has halved at least as a result - well pleased! No going back now!
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
  • LeeSouthEast
    LeeSouthEast Posts: 3,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    To be honest, in an effort to seriously attack my debt this year I tried the Tesco Value range of just about everything and was extremely impressed with the quality of them. The ready meals (at an average of 70p each!) are amazingly good value and the freezer is now stocked high with them, along with stuff I make myself from the cheaper ingredients (an onion is still an onion!).
    Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009 :j
    Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
  • Li0nhead
    Li0nhead Posts: 16,922 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Discussion re this on 5live now.
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. It was so good we removed it because we cannot think of one so good as you had and need to protect others from seeing such a great signature.
  • sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 4 August 2009 at 10:33PM
    Options
    Li0nhead wrote: »
    Discussion re this on 5live now.

Thanks, just tuned in whilst I type.

;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/
  • Li0nhead
    Li0nhead Posts: 16,922 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pretty poor debate to be honest.
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. It was so good we removed it because we cannot think of one so good as you had and need to protect others from seeing such a great signature.
  • Lost2
    Lost2 Posts: 15,594 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The only thing I cannot swap is Kellogg's corn flakes, but other wise
    I go for cheaper range.
    Sealed Pot Number 018 🎄2009..£950.50 🎄2010..£256 🎄 2011..£526 🎄2012..£548.80 🎄2013...£758.88🎄2014...£510 🎄2015...£604.78 🎄2016...£704.50 🎄2017...£475 🎄2018...£1979.12 🎄2019...£408.88🎄2020...£1200.63...🎄2021…£588 🎄2022 £672… 🎄2023 £3,783.90 🎄2024…£
  • 1carminestocky
    Options
    My missus has always been adamant that it was Kellogg's or nothing. She's now happily munching Sainsbugs basics cornflakes most mornings (46p for 500g!).
    Call me Carmine....

HAVE YOU SEEN QUENTIN'S CASHBACK CARD??
  • MrsBartolozzi
    MrsBartolozzi Posts: 6,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 5 August 2009 at 12:07PM
    Options
    I've used some of the basics range for years now. Sadly it seems as though just when "everyone" now knows about the range the prices on these ranges go up dramatically (as much as 100% or more in some cases):rolleyes:. Could we not just speak in loud whispers rather than wave the banners and use megaphones to share the news?
    As many people on the OS board have said where do those who have already been using the basics/value ranges go when the supermarkets put the prices go up due to the new-found popularity? There's nothing below for them to "step down" to:confused:.

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family