🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Roofing grants & insurance

Options
Does anyone know if you can get any grants or insurance money on a total re-roofing job of a 1950 semi..........I am single, on a low income but do not claim any benefits.

Comments

• rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    You could only get insurance money if it was damaged by something your were insured against happening. General maintenance isn't covered by insurance. Grants also generally don't cover maintenance or repairs but are for specific things like insulation etc.
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • lee12_2
    lee12_2 Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    Hi my parents where in need of a new roof and they are on pension credit , they went to the local council and got a grant that paid for it . I know you have to apply and then get quotes, and a lot depends on how much cash they have in the pot but there are grants out there and the local council office is the best place to ask.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    most councils operate a repayable grant system for repairs such as a roof problem. but i think its mostly for older peeps as they put a charge on the house until its sold.
    check with your own local council.
    Get some gorm.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills