5k to INVEST !

Options
luvpump
luvpump Posts: 1,621 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 3 August 2009 at 10:43PM in Savings & investments
Put the bulk of my savings in the recent newcastle bond, but have about 5k over to Invest ... Low to medium risk for a year or more..what / where would you put it ?? :beer:

Comments

• jon3001
    jon3001 Posts: 890 Forumite
    edited 3 August 2009 at 10:57PM
    Options
    Are you looking for a savings account or do you genuinely wish to invest the money (usually not recommended for timescales under 5 years). Investment carries with it the risk of losing money; it's the price you pay for a chance to do better than cash savings.

I see you've emphasised Invest so - take a look a my bond portfolio strategy.
  • advent1122
    advent1122 Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    Options
    luvpump wrote: »
    Put the bulk of my savings in the recent newcastle bond, but have about 5k over to Invest ... Low to medium risk for a year or more..what / where would you put it ?? :beer:

The favourite in the 3.20 at Kempton.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,590 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Low to medium risk for a year or more.

Even a low risk investment is high risk when its just for one year.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • chopperharris
    chopperharris Posts: 1,027 Forumite
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »

Your not wrong , my advised and managed portfolio was nearly down 300k in under a year , now its just down about 150k if I include the income.

My rbs endevour , isa stocks and shares I am averaging 50p so just about even on another 20k.But when the shares were 10p I added a third to the isa so luckilly I am not sitting at an higher average.

So op I wouldnt bother with just 5k and for only a year if I was you.Bang it in a fixed term account instead.
    Have you tried turning it off and on again?
  • DiggerUK
    DiggerUK Posts: 4,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Luvpump,
    Gold is seen by some as carrying a great risk.
    I'd say it is the lowest risk place to protect your 5K, you will never hold a piece of worthless gold in your hand.
    As you know, it is capital growth that gold attracts, not a dividend.
    If you look at this site they give more arguments to hold gold than a gold bug, but there again they are a site that is selling gold.
    http://www.coininvestdirect.com/main.php

A 250gm cast ingot is about the size of a custard cream.
    At the moment you also have enough for a couple of sovereigns as well.

Best of fortune.
  • jon3001
    jon3001 Posts: 890 Forumite
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »

I'd be interested if you had any comments/opinions on my bond portfolio strategy in terms of its risk and how it could potentially be reduced.

Going cash is something I'd like to avoid since it's in a S&S ISA and I may not need to liquidate it. I'll be keeping an eye on the strength of sterling and may move about 20% into international fixed interest should there be a sustained recovery (assuming its undervalued right now).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure