Cheapest Line Rental & other bits

Options
I've managed perfectly well without a landline for the past 5 years or so, just using my mobile to make all my calls, with internet access being a shared connection in the flat I've shared.

However, I've finally bought my own place and will, later this summer, be needing an internet connection of my own, so I'll need a landline. I begrudge paying circa £10 per month for a line that'll not be used for phone calls, but I can't do much about that - only find the cheapest landline provider. So, who is it? Post Office HomePhone looks quite good at the moment, but then Toucan seem to be undercutting the Post Office....

If I do signup for the Post Office or Toucan, am I then resticted in my choice of broadband provider, or can I opt for the likes of Bulldog even though I don't have a Bulldog line?

Kind regards, Slightly confused by the options!

Comments

• Toxteth_OGrady
    Options
    There's 15 user reviews of Toucan broadband here that I strongly suggest you take a look at before making a decision.

Caveat Emptor.

:cool:

TOG
    604!
  • thisismatt
    Options
    Thanks for the link to Toucan's ISP Reviews. However, I had no intention of going with Toucan in the first place :p

Can anyone provide guidance on my query?
  • Toxteth_OGrady
    Toxteth_OGrady Posts: 3,958 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry, I must have misunderstood this in your OP:
    If I do signup for the Post Office or Toucan

:cool:

TOG
    604!
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Welcome to the MSE forums thisismatt.

Get a BT line - all your options are open then (even if, at £11 per month, it may - on the face of it - be a few pence a month more expensive).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,743 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you're in an NTL area one option could be their £17.99 broadband without a phone line using VoIP for calls. If you're not interested in VoIP, would prefer a traditional landline or don't live in an NTL area ignore this suggestion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport