PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Charity shop vs Freecycle

Options
I just wanted peoples opinions in this.

I have a large black bag of clothes as a result of (finally!) de-cluttering my wardrobes.

However, I don't know whether to tale them to the charity shop, or offer them on freecycle.

What would you do?
Baby Ice arrived 17th April 2011. Tired.com! :j

Comments

• Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Charity shop = far safer than dealing with random people getting abusive if you can't tell them exactly what you have in the bag, or demand to have it with a 'I'll take it'. If it were heavy furniture I would be more inclined towards Freecycle, but it's only a bin bag - I don't believe it would be worth the hassle.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • SUESMITH_2
    SUESMITH_2 Posts: 2,093 Forumite
    Options
    i would charity shop them i've had nowt but hassle with freecycle recently - ive still got one of the books that i offered about 6 weeks ago cos the person who wants it can't quite make it to my house to get it but keeps teling me they want it - will mail them one more time then reoffer
    'We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time
  • painted_lady
    painted_lady Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I would take it to the charity shop, its a good way of giving to charity and as other say, you get rid of it all straight away with no quibbles.
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Bitsy_Beans Posts: 9,640 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Clothes I'd probably give to charity shop.
    Other stuff I would probably freecycle. For example I had a load of cuddly toys surplus to requirements and wanted to shift them. But they were in such good nick I thought they'd make excellent raffle/tombola prizes for a fete or something. As such I had a primary school teacher ask for them as prizes for her achieving pupils and another woman holding a blue cross fete. Split the lot between the two and was pleased knowing that the toys would be really wanted rather than sitting in a charity shop.
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think I'd be inclined to list them on Freecycle first - just by size - i.e. 6 size 12 tops, 5 pairs of trousers size 14 etc.

That way people can ask for what they are interested in or you could offer the whole bag as a boot fair lot.

I'm always very pleased to pick clothes up from Freecycle for my DD's - as they're both a size 8 but with different tastes.

If no-ones interested on freecycle then pop them along to the chairty shop.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • artichoke
    artichoke Posts: 1,724 Forumite
    Options
    charity shop would get my vote

and at least you know the charity of your choice is getting the money....

i do use freecycle but am fed up of people on freecycle who ask is i good quality and then sell the stuff on ebay or something...

or the people who post wanted ads "must be nearly new and in great condition"

so i have gone back to giving most things to the real needy not the greedy..

off to sort a few bags of clutter to give to MIND....

art
  • Lightbulbchick
    Options
    I'd drop them into an Oxfam shop or Oxfam clothes bank.

Oxfam recycle the fabric from clothes they are unable to sell.

Also if you hand them in at one of their shops Oxfam will give you a £5 M&S voucher if there are any M&S clothes in the pile.
    I can if I think I can.
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    I would put clothes in to my local hospice shop they are one of the few who are reasonably priced plus it is a good charity
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • csarina
    csarina Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    Options
    I go with the charity shop too for clothes. Our local free cycle is getting very wanty, washers, driers,cookers, dishwashers, computers you name it they want it. I put on an appeal for an under counter freezer, not a smell. Ended up buying a second hand one.

I have put a lot of things through free cycle but not managed to find much in return.
    Was 13st 8 lbs,Now 12st 11 Lost 10 1/4lbs since I started on my diet.
  • pollys
    pollys Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Charity shop gets my vote. I tend to use freecycle for bigger items.
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure