bank charge help please?!

Options
I got a letter yesterday from the bank, saying they are going to charge me £35 for being over my overdraft limit on the 10th of August.

what can i do about this, as i was only like £20 over. And i have been paying that £20 back bit by bit, i am now only like £6 overdrawn.

I cannot afford £35, especially not until i get paid on the 14th of August. I only have £11 to my name at the moment, which most of will go towards posting ebay items later today.

Is there anything i can do about this charge?

Comments

• Katy_M_2
    Katy_M_2 Posts: 209 Forumite
    edited 31 July 2009 at 11:33AM
    Options
    It's so unfair how much they charge you for that.

I went into my bank once and asked them to remove the charge but the woman was really mean and school marm-ish....i thought she was going to make me stand in the corner!

It might be worth going in and speaking to them though. I know there has been a lot of hype about bank charges recently and getting them removed so it might be well worth looking into or speaking to someone at your local branch?

Especially if you tell them you would incur more charges as a result of not being able to pay it.
    HSBC Loan [STRIKE]£5845.83[/STRIKE] £2500 Barclay Card [STRIKE]£1085.76[/STRIKE] £592.74 Barclays Overdraft [STRIKE]£1100[/STRIKE] £600
    Virgin Card £273
    Total Debt:[STRIKE] £8228.96[/STRIKE] £3965.74
    :T:T:T:T:T

• misspoppy
    misspoppy Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

Its certainly worth asking them to waiver it especially if its the first time in a while since you had a charge.
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    With HSBC if you go in and talk to them about the charges the staff are authorised to waiver the charges once every 6months, or if there are a lot of charges in 1 month, they will sometimes waiver half of the total (well this was the situation last time I had charges a year ago).

I would guess other banks do something similar.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • littlepinkstars44
    Options
    It's the royal bank of scotland. This is the first month i've had this account
  • GeorgeUK
    GeorgeUK Posts: 7,737 Forumite
    Options
    You should phone them and ask if they can take away the charge - the worst they can do is say no. You may get lucky if this is your first charge.
    After falling off the gambling wagon (twice): £33,600 (24,000+ 9,600) - Original CC Debt: £7,885.91

Dad Gift 6k ¦ Savings & Inv Tst: £2,500
    Loan 10k: £0 ¦ Dad 5.5k: £2,270 ¦ LTSB: £0 ¦ RBS: £0 ¦ Virgin £0 ¦ Egg £0

Total Owed: £2,270 (+6k) 11/08/2011
  • littlepinkstars44
    Options
    theres no phone number on the letter they sent...anyone know what number to phone for them?
  • littlepinkstars44
    Options
    managed to find the number, lovely woman...explained the situation to her and she increased the overdraft by £100 to cover the £35 charge so i won't get another charge on it when the money isn't there
  • GeorgeUK
    GeorgeUK Posts: 7,737 Forumite
    Options
    Did they not remove the charge? Only increased the amount of credit you have available?

If the charge wasn't removed, it would be worth going in to a branch to ask to have the charge removed.
    After falling off the gambling wagon (twice): £33,600 (24,000+ 9,600) - Original CC Debt: £7,885.91

Dad Gift 6k ¦ Savings & Inv Tst: £2,500
    Loan 10k: £0 ¦ Dad 5.5k: £2,270 ¦ LTSB: £0 ¦ RBS: £0 ¦ Virgin £0 ¦ Egg £0

Total Owed: £2,270 (+6k) 11/08/2011
  • littlepinkstars44
    Options
    GeorgeUK wrote: »
    Did they not remove the charge? Only increased the amount of credit you have available?

If the charge wasn't removed, it would be worth going in to a branch to ask to have the charge removed.

She said she couldn't remove the charge, because i've went over my agreed overdraft limit (£100)
  • littlepinkstars44
    Options
    checked online banking this morning...yes the £100 is there. Now i just need to not be tempted to spend it, as the charge doesn't come out till the 10th!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure