IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Going to Court for Private Parking ticket

hummy
hummy Posts: 194
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 31 July 2009 at 12:53PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
While we were away on holiday i was issued with a default judgement for parking tickets for just over £1000. From the help i received from this board i managed to get the judgement set aside on the basis of me not having received any notifications, which i have not. Never knew about this until the judgement came through.

The company in question is called Observices Parking Consultancy.

So the court date is 19th August. The claim was issued through the northampton bulk processing centre. I have received the particulars of the claim which states the following:

"We are a private parking company who holds a contract with the owners of the land to issue parking tickets to drivers not abiding by the terms and conditions which are displayed onsite. On 5 occasions, Mr XXX, parked vehicle reg XXXX XXX in XXXXXXX without displaying a valid permit. The case was handed to a debt collections agency who also failed to obtain payment. The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the county courts act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from XX/XX/XXXX to XX/XX/XXXX of £XXX and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judegement or earlier payment at a daily rate of 0.05."

Now i do no even recall going to the location in question however, there is someone i know and did drive the car regularly, so i suspect it is him. I wanted to get suggestion from people on how to successfully defend this at court, and get the CCJ i have removed, becuase that has come out of the blue and causing me great difficulty at a time when i was looking to remortgage the property.

Look forward to your replies.

Thanks

Comments

• sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    www.pepipoo.com is the place you need.
  • DaveF327
    DaveF327 Posts: 1,160
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 31 July 2009 at 4:27PM
    hummy wrote: »
    On 5 occasions, Mr XXX, parked vehicle reg XXXX XXX in
    Is Mr XXX you or this "other person"? If they're naming you, then there's your defence.
    Now i do no even recall going to the location in question however, there is someone i know and did drive the car regularly, so i suspect it is him.
    Is this "other person" willing to take the rap for this? If not, are you willing to name and shame him to the judge? The only way to avoid the CCJ is to prove to the court that you were not driving and are not liable for the tresspass damages. Can you provide old insurance documents proving that the other person was insured to drive the car? It all helps.
  • hummy
    hummy Posts: 194
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Well they just give my surname. so they don't actually say which one of us it is. From what i have read in the MSE article about private parking tickets i am not obliged to tell them who the driver is. But i guess that still leaves me to prove that i was not the driver.
  • Meepster
    Meepster Posts: 5,955 Forumite
    edited 31 July 2009 at 12:53PM
    I might be missing something here, but if this does indeed go to court, surely it is THEIR responsibility to prove you were the driver? Not your responsibility to prove you weren't the driver? You need to be found guilty, you don't need to find someone else guilty...
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands

• Alx*27
    Alx*27 Posts: 128 Forumite
    'Guilty' is a bit strong. I'd use the term allegedly liable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure