Wedding photography

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Weddings & Anniversaries
64 replies 4.5K views
andygbandygb Forumite
14.6K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Weddings & Anniversaries
Having worked for 33 years in finance, and spent the last year unemployed, I am going to try to set up two businesses - Accounts and bookkeeping, and photography.
The photography venture will be mainly aimed at wedding, portrait, corporate and events.
Would anybody be prepared to give me an idea of how much they were charged, what kind of service they received, how many prints (whether digital photobook or traditional album), and whether or not they were satisfied with the outcome.
I have been a keen amateur photographer for around thirty years, and I have the prospect of shooting a wedding in November (I have covered about half a dozen weddings in my life), and to be honest I am a little nervous, because I do not want to spoil anyone's big day.

Replies

• hells_2hells_2 Forumite
    297 Posts
    Depends on what kind of service you are going to give to your clients. This is uncanny as I spent 5 years as a photographer and gave it up (20 years ago there was no money in it for me, a young bolshy but naive lass without any money behind me to finance myself). I've worked in finance for 13 years.
    Now I want to go back to photography! haha!

Going off my cousin's recent wedding, the photographer was charging...wait for it.... £14.00 for a 10x15cm print!!!!!! Unbelievable!

Everyone nowadays would expect a web preview page of their wedding shots so all and sundry can have a look first. Then I suppose the client gets to choose how many prints and what sizes they want, i.e. bulk order. You'd have to also figure whether your fee for the day is going to include any prints in that. Personally I'd want to pay £xxx amount to the photographer inclusive of say, a standard bunch of prints (to be agreed).
  • frugallassfrugallass Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    andygb wrote: »
    I have been a keen amateur photographer for around thirty years, and I have the prospect of shooting a wedding in November (I have covered about half a dozen weddings in my life), and to be honest I am a little nervous, because I do not want to spoil anyone's big day.

Hi Andy

are you registered on any of the photography forums?
  • andygbandygb Forumite
    14.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    frugallass wrote: »
    Hi Andy

are you registered on any of the photography forums?

Not yet, I am in the process of having business cards, flyers and a website designed. I am also trying to construct a portfolio, which means scanning all my best slides and negatives (35mm) to a high resolution.
  • I'd say the best thing to do would be to search for already established photographers in your target area and ring them up posing as a prospective customer. I did this myself when i was setting up my own business last year (not photography i hasten to add!)

That way you can see what sort of prices are average in your area, what sort of services are on offer, freebies that might be included in the price ie, free photo books, dvds, websites etc.

Where are you based andy just out of interest?
    What matters most is how well you walk through the fire
  • frugallassfrugallass Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    andygb wrote: »
    Not yet, I am in the process of having business cards, flyers and a website designed. I am also trying to construct a portfolio, which means scanning all my best slides and negatives (35mm) to a high resolution.

there are some good forums out there and many discuss the role of the wedding photographer and sharing information / ideas and constructive criticism on any shots you post
  • andygbandygb Forumite
    14.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hells wrote: »
    Depends on what kind of service you are going to give to your clients. This is uncanny as I spent 5 years as a photographer and gave it up (20 years ago there was no money in it for me, a young bolshy but naive lass without any money behind me to finance myself). I've worked in finance for 13 years.
    Now I want to go back to photography! haha!

Going off my cousin's recent wedding, the photographer was charging...wait for it.... £14.00 for a 10x15cm print!!!!!! Unbelievable!

Everyone nowadays would expect a web preview page of their wedding shots so all and sundry can have a look first. Then I suppose the client gets to choose how many prints and what sizes they want, i.e. bulk order. You'd have to also figure whether your fee for the day is going to include any prints in that. Personally I'd want to pay £xxx amount to the photographer inclusive of say, a standard bunch of prints (to be agreed).

That is quite a heavy price for that size. I was thinking in terms of £15 for an A4 size print. There are lots of different approaches, normally the bride and groom will be the first to view, and then choose which ones to keep. The web preview is a simple efficient way to cater for reprints. There is no way I would let someone have a CD of the wedding, because your reputation is at risk from low quality printing. You are right about pricing, and I agree that a fixed price, based on hourly rate, would include ten prints. You then have to decide which style you want to employ - formal or reportage, which is more casual. Does the couple want an album or photobook?
    I have just purchased a decent DSLR (Sony Alpha 700), and the results are simply stunning, even compared to the old days working with Kodachrome 25 and 64. There is so much you can do with balance, tone and exposure, particularly if you shoot a combination of JPEG/CRAW.
    Anyway, enough of the technical stuff, I just have to hope that some kind people will be able to give me some idea of what I can charge - too low, and people may think I am rubbish. Too high, and I will not get any work.
  • andygbandygb Forumite
    14.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    picklepick wrote: »
    I'd say the best thing to do would be to search for already established photographers in your target area and ring them up posing as a prospective customer. I did this myself when i was setting up my own business last year (not photography i hasten to add!)

That way you can see what sort of prices are average in your area, what sort of services are on offer, freebies that might be included in the price ie, free photo books, dvds, websites etc.

Where are you based andy just out of interest?

I am based in Kent. I have looked at quite a few websites, but wanted to get the lowdown from people who had paid, rather than the people advertising their services. Some charge by the hour (£50 an hour seems normal!!!!), others do basic packages starting at £250, but do not say what they include.
    I would rather be fair, competitively priced, and let the client know exactly what the job is going to cost, rather than being vague, and presenting them with a big bill which they didn't expect.
  • I dont understand why you would not ive out a dvd of the photos? Every wedding photographer i have enquired to offers a dvd slideshow of the photos which you choose. I would insist on at least some sort of digital copy of them. Im paranoid about water damage, fire damage etc to actual prints. Just me perhaps? haha
    What matters most is how well you walk through the fire
  • joolesw1972joolesw1972 Forumite
    632 Posts
    There is no way I would let someone have a CD of the wedding, because your reputation is at risk from low quality printing.

I understand your reasons, but that would strike you off our list straight away! We will only be picking a photographer who gives us the photos on cd/dvd and full copyright, we have good enough equipment at home to print off photos and want to use photobox or similar to make photobooks ourselves, that way we can mix & match the prof photographer's photos with the ones that our family and friends take.
    "Normal is not something to aspire to - it is something to get away from" - Jodie Foster
  • andygbandygb Forumite
    14.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no way I would let someone have a CD of the wedding, because your reputation is at risk from low quality printing.

I understand your reasons, but that would strike you off our list straight away! We will only be picking a photographer who gives us the photos on cd/dvd and full copyright, we have good enough equipment at home to print off photos and want to use photobox or similar to make photobooks ourselves, that way we can mix & match the prof photographer's photos with the ones that our family and friends take.

Well, that is honest feedback, but how much would you pay the photographer in the first place?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals