We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Holly bush question

Options
I have a small holly bush that sits in a pot outside my front door. It's been growing fine and had small white flowers on it in the spring but the other day I noticed that leaves near the bottom of the branches are turning yellow and dropping off? Is this normal for this time of year?

Just worried with all the rain that it's gotten too wet in the pot!

Tx

Comments

• YorkiePud_3
    YorkiePud_3 Posts: 718 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Mine sometimes does that and then recovers ... older leaves do get shed away like that. They do like a LOT of water though!
    I have mine in a big planter (3 feet across) and I put two watering can fulls on every other week ... they really like a lot of water but not regularly if you see what I mean. I also chuck in a scoop of phostrogen feed too and it perks up a bit with that.

I also found with mine that it doesn't like to be touching anything .. a wall, another plant ... so I pulled mine a bit forward from the wall and it is growing mad. Have had a look at it and some of the leaves are yellowing and falling so the ones still on the plant I have just whipped off.

I've still got some berries on it from last year too (funny the birds haven't touched them!), but there are flowers coming now ... so if you've had the white flowers you'll definitely get berries forming soon.

One old gardener told me the cardinal rule for holly ... he said it was protected by fairy folk, so once you put it in your garden you must never ever move it! Just got to leave it where it is and it will do well and apparently the fairy folk will guard your home too (so good that it is by your door!) ... not a bad deal, eh?! *LOL*
  • twinklefish
    twinklefish Posts: 112 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the reassurance! Was hoping this was normal for holly because I have a draconia indoors that does this all the time and I know that's normal for that!

Apart from the yellow leaves it's growing like mad and looking lovely and green and healthy! The faeries will be pleased with me :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure