PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Green Mung Dal

Options
I have found in my cupboard a 2kg bag of Green Mung Dal (split dried green mung beans I think). I have no idea why I have it in my cupboard, and it has a best before date of Sep 2008. Anyone got any suggestions on how I can use this???

Thanks!
Pennies make pounds.
Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 358 - Proud To Have Dealt With My Debts!

Comments

• russetred
    russetred Posts: 1,334 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No sorry,but I have a bag too so keeping an eye on this one.I think you can sprout them for salads but not positive.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I use dahl in curries instead of lentils.
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • PrincessPeach_2
    PrincessPeach_2 Posts: 313 Forumite
    edited 30 July 2009 at 2:31PM
    Options
    There is loads you can use it towards - first as a curry - very easy to make and you can have it with rice or naan bread, also as a soup. If you are feeling
    adventurous - there are other indian dishes like Masala dosa's (the dal is used for the flat bread - i think Moong is used but i guess you can try it with Mung) You can google any of these recipes.
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    best before date shouldn't worry you.
    Mung beans are useful additions to recipes because they do not require pre-soaking.
    They are the classic bean to use for bean sprouts.
    Moong and mong are alternative spellings for mung - all recipes are for the same thing.
    Here's some info and ideas: http://www.boloji.com/ayurveda/av044.htm
  • onedayiwill
    onedayiwill Posts: 390 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all - and especially for the link Seakay.

However, the Green Mung Dal I have are not whole mung beans - they are split (so I don't think I can sprout them). Most of the recipes I have found call for either whole mung beans or split hulled mung beans (i.e. without the green).

I guess I'd be better using these in recipes that call for whole mung beans rather than the split hulled ones right? Because the green part will make things a bit different ...
    Pennies make pounds.
  • a_sav
    a_sav Posts: 1,658 Forumite
    Options
    Use as you would lentils in curries,soups even rice
  • onedayiwill
    onedayiwill Posts: 390 Forumite
    Options
    OK - just made some soup - v.yummy.

Chopped onion, carrot, mushrooms, garlic and fried for a few minutes. Added a teaspoon of dried coriander & another of dried cumin. Added a few good handfuls of the green mung dal. Added some water. Boiled for 10 minutes, simmered for 30. Also added a splash of worcestershire sauce and some salt & pepper towards the end of cooking.

Verdict from hubby was "delicious" which is always good ... especially when we have enough soup left for lunch tomorrow and take-to-work lunch on Monday.

It's going to take a really long time to get through a 2kg bag of this stuff though!
    Pennies make pounds.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure