Can anyone recommend a good sport for a young child in NI

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
18 replies 1.3K views
wifeforlifewifeforlife Forumite
2.7K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
My DD is nearing 6yrs old. She went to dancing classes and although enjoyable, I'd like her to become involved in a sport.

Can anyone recommend anything suitable to a 6yr old girl?! My feelings are that it's easier for boys to get involved at a younger age in sport, especially with football whether soccer or gaelic.

Thanks
Cate

Replies

• a team sport or any sport?
    MFW 148 - Mortgage £121,000 1Jan11 / Mortgage £120,300 28Jan11 / £119,808 24Feb11 / £119,400 22 April11 / £119,089 29 May11 / £118,500 October11
  • wifeforlifewifeforlife Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Either or to be honest - I think a team sport would be great as she is currently an only child and it would be great for her to have friends outside of school, but I'd just like to broaden her world a bit
  • where do you live? i'm sure there are lots of summer schemes to give her a taster. gymnastics; badminton?; tag rugby all sexes; judo or karate or jujitsu help build confidence; ice skating?

depending where you live check out your local education board; councils; voluntary groups. what county are you in and maybe we could help find one.
    MFW 148 - Mortgage £121,000 1Jan11 / Mortgage £120,300 28Jan11 / £119,808 24Feb11 / £119,400 22 April11 / £119,089 29 May11 / £118,500 October11
  • You could check out your local leisure centre for summer camps. I know my kids have been at a basketball camp and gaelic camp so far
  • elliemooelliemoo Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    My 8 year old has been doing Ju Jitsu for the last year and loves it, I am sure there are lots of clubs around. Also my daughter takes swimming lessons and although a single person sport she has built up a great rapport with the other kids taking lessons.
  • CLCL Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    When I went to school (in your area), netball was very competitive between schools. My sister carried this on in the Lurgan area until her late 20s.
  • Gymnastics, swimming and horseriding are ideal. Also, see if there are any multisport clubs in your local leisure centre. Here we have the Cheetahs and the Wildcats. They are multi skill clubs and are excellent for team building etc.
  • kyralkyral Forumite
    167 Posts
    I too would recommend ju-jitsu. My daughter started just after she turned 6 and is now 11 and about 6months away from a black belt. Her self esteem has soared and she is now much more confident in herself. She has made friends that she wouldnt have made at school and as she is going to 'big' school in September already has 'new' friends there.

My son also started when he turned 6 and although isnt just as keen he is fine once you get him there lol. He is 8 and prefers football but I like to give him a chance at something different.
  • jamespirjamespir Forumite
    21.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    how about netball
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • Cathy,

I believe your in the Portadown/Craigavon/Lurgan area from previous posts.

As CL says, I believe netball is very competitive in the area within schools but I honestly can't say I personnaly know much about it as I'm a bit of a blow in to the area. I know both Portadown & Lurgan Rugby clubs have mini rugby (Don't worry it's only "Tag Rugby"... and is for Boys & Girls... ) Believe it starts in September through to May

http://www.portadownrugbyclub.co.uk/minis/
    http://www.lurganrugbyclub.com/youth_rugby.html
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco launches its first ever...

...checkout-free supermarket store

MSE News

25+ ways to stop scams

Plus what to do if you're a victim

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

The Body Shop, Holland & Barrett etc