warning about virgin broadband & emails

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
10 replies 917 views
soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
67.9K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
I'm with Virgin broadband and I noticed that I had started to lose some emails, I checked the webmail and they aren't in spam and yet the companies insist they were sent.

I've just managed to get hold of someone at Virgin to be told that they have a known issue that has gone on for a week or so where their filters are incorrectly identifying some emails as spam. There is a chance that the missing emails will eventually arrive, but there is also a chance they are lost forever.

Unfortunately the ones I am getting are the spam ones, all the important ones are missing. I have taken out an online travel policy and all my documents were sent by email, but are now lost. Likewise I renewed my television license online and that has got lost as well.

Basically if you are using Virgin don't do anything online that requires a valid email address as there is a chance you will never get official confirmation. As usual I asked why this wasn't showing as an issue on their update page, but they don't know.

You really couldn't make it up with this company.
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide

Replies

• blindmouseblindmouse Forumite
    148 Posts
    Last year I had some problems with my phoneline and had 3 engineers out to my house and none could fix the problem and the 3rd left saying he would report the fault as it needed external work, after several days of waiting I called them and they had no record of any engineers in my house and despite my protests the call was taken again as a new complaint. Now you couldnt make that up !!!!!!
  • LemonGroveLemonGrove Forumite
    618 Posts
    soolin wrote: »
    You really couldn't make it up with this company.

True, my Dad was with them and the month after he left they sent him a random bill for 22p and then the month after that they sent a one for 26p. :confused:
    Male. :o
  • trevormaxtrevormax Forumite
    911 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    You can set up a free email with hotmail or googlemail. I've never had any problems with my hotmail account in the many years I have had it.

I've had Virgin broadband for about a year now and the only gripe I have with it is the fact that they haven't changed the price I am paying to be in line with their new prices for the same connection. I phoned them the other day to change my package and the first thing the opperator said when looking at my account was "woh, your paying lots for this mate". I'm paying £25 for the 10Mb connection.
  • NilremNilrem Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can, iirc set the email to be marked as spam so it's delivered with the header warning it's spam, rather than deleted at the ISP.

This is what I do because even the best filters have a tendency to incorrectly mark some emails as "not spam" or "spam", so instead I get them delivered with the spam warning, and automatically set to be put into a specific folder by a mail rule in outlook/windows mail, and then give them a quick look before deleting them.
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem though isn't with items arriving as spam it is that they don't arrive at all. I routinely check Virgin webmail online, the oddest things end up in there despite my spam filters being set. However, these mails are not being sent out from the main Virgin servers in the first place so there is nothing I can do about it as they say the fault is their end.

This is a bit from their latest email:(which actually contradicts the info they give when you phone them)

As we are changing the mail platform some of our customers are receiving their emails late. Please be assured that you will not miss any email although they might be delivered late.

You will be notified once this change is completed.

You will be able to use upgraded and highly sophisticated email facilities of Google Mail after the change of the platform. You might face this issue due to the changing of the email platform.

We have not updated the status in the site as this is a known issue and our engineers are working to resolve this issue as soon as possible.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • PoundPound Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I signed up with Virgin I wanted them to set up Pre-Carrier Selection so the calls would go through them instead of BT. Initially a problem with BT meant it didn't happen and Virgin sent me a letter to tell me. BT said if it's requested again it would go through so I called Virgin to ask them and they promised to set it up.

Every month for about 8 months Virgin would send me a letter with the same thing to tell me BT had rejected the PCS change. But BT said that had only happened once and they'd received no more requests from Virgin. I'd phone Virgin who would confirm that they hadn't requested with an explanation that the person I spoke to the month before hadn't done their job properly but it would definetly be done this time. But the month after I'd hear the same thing!

I even had messages from Virgin on my voicemail asking me to call up so they could "get it sorted". I don't know why instead of spending time writing letters and making phone calls to me they didn't just invest that time in asking BT to change the PCS setting on my line which was what I'd been asking them to do for months.

• supermezzosupermezzo Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    Soolin - My emails are set on the virign homepage to also back-up to my hotmail account and I very often find that mails are int here which never appear in OE. Might be worth a try....
    It aint over til I've done singing....
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    How do I get to the main server page please to check?

At the moment when I check Virgin webmail I can see the spam folder (as I mentioned above) and trash etc but I can't see a way of checking any further back with the Virgin servers themselves.
    New to Forum? Guide
  • dacouchdacouch Forumite
    21.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What sometimes helps is if you send an email to the companies you want an email from and ask them to reply to your email. This normally gets round problems with your email server as it sees it's a reply
  • supermezzosupermezzo Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried using mail2web.com? Just type in your email addy and password and it should give you all the files. Incidentally, if the files there number over about 350, for some reason this means that emails are also 'lost' because you are getting near your allocation I guess. Who knows with Virgin?
    I tried to post a link to the page to set your email to auto-backup but becuase I no longer use their broadband, just the email addy, it won't let me access my account details anymore pmsl
    It aint over til I've done singing....
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Top savings accounts

Up to 1.7% fixed or 0.6% easy access

MSE Guides

24 craft beers for £26 delivered

Flavourly newbies only (norm £70ish)

MSE Deals