Fashion - What Not To Spend On

Options
There are somethings that you can get away with cheap:

white tshirts and vests- I have had Gap, Marks and Spencer, Mango, Zara and Primark over the past couple of years and none of them have lasted any longer than the Primark ones. They all go a bit yellow or greyish after a while and baggy.In fact I am wearing a Massimo Dutti one that I wear as a pj top now that I bought last summer and it wasn´t cheap and it has gone all baggy.

knickers - I bought some multi pack ones in Marks and Spencer in May and they are now ready for the bin.My Primark ones have about the same amount of life in them.

jeans - now this is surprising but I find New Look Hula jeans at ten pounds to be a very flattering fit.

tights - Primark ones are fine

high fashion - if you want to experiment with a trend then it has to be Primark

hairbands, elastic bands, belts and accessories- you have to be careful as some belts can look plain cheap and plasticky but choose well and you can get away with cheap ones.

pyjamas - again my Marks and Spencers trousers and vest separates that I got in the sale in May have not fared any better than my Primark ones.

Comments

• Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I buy very little in Primark, I always look, but can't ever get the fit I want but I bought a long snuggly aqua coloured fleecy dressing gown from Primark last year for less than a tenner (I'm sure it was only about £7 actually.)

Previously had a white fleecy one from Next (about £30), the fleece went a bit 'clumpy' and the whole thing got a greyish tinge very quickly. The Primark one is still perfect, colour still bright, fleece nice and soft and fluffy and it washes beautifully. Going to see if I can get a white one this winter. Hope the quality is the same.
    Absolute spot on quality and value for money, couldn't have got much better from M&S.....and I'm picky about Primark!!
  • piratefairy
    piratefairy Posts: 4,342 Forumite
    Options
    Yep, I agree about Primark, despite what I said yesterday, you can't go wrong with some of their basics. Vest tops and tights are my staples, and PJs, as they are just as good as anywhere else. I get most of my undrewear there also, finding them to be just as good in length of life as La Senza, Ann Summers, or even M+S in some cases.
  • minerva_windsong
    Options
    I find Primark fine for things like knickers, socks and the odd trendy item that I know I won't wear for more than a season or so. H&M is also good for that, and for things like plain vests and tops for layering.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • tara747
    tara747 Posts: 10,238 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree with all of you! I find Primark great for 'trends' that won't last long, tights (esp 15 denier - they all get laddered equally quickly!), socks and pants - I mentioned the '3 pairs for £4 ones in the other thread and would urge you to check them out. They really are fantastic and last ages. They're as good as anything from M&S. I also love their cotton pyjamas, £4-5 and they last a good while! Also, their pretty bra and knickers sets are probably useless for support but for seduction purposes (where they are only to be worn for 5 minutes!) they can't be beaten. My OH likes them anyway :rotfl:

As with anything, Primark is hit and miss. Buy carefully and you get some amazing bargains. I got a beautiful felt hat and a sheer gypsy top the other day for £1 each!

I also love H&M for vest tops, plain tops (quality is actually pretty good too), jewellery and socks.

I've heard about these Hula jeans so much, I must go and check them out! :D
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £180,000 by 31 Dec 2020! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733 * 2018: £136,565 * 2019: £161,957 * 2020: £197,685
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
  • tara747
    tara747 Posts: 10,238 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh and the £2 lace up plimsolls from Primark are fab! I bought 2 pairs (grey and white) and they have lasted me for months! Anyone else got these?
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £180,000 by 31 Dec 2020! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733 * 2018: £136,565 * 2019: £161,957 * 2020: £197,685
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
  • FelinePrincess
    FelinePrincess Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Options
    I totally agree about white tops and t shirts, mine never last long.
  • Katie-Kat-Kins
    Katie-Kat-Kins Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Options
    What not to spend on:
    acrylic knitwear - just don't buy it, will look knackered in no time save your money and look for cotton or wool.
    Tights and socks, primark are just as good as more expensive ones (the exception being hiking socks which I do spend more on)
    Knickers - again can't beat the big P, or M&S clearence for pretty ones to match bras, BUT don't scrimp on bras, fit is imperative, cheap ones can be good but make sure they fit like a glove.
    Plain t-shirts - primark £2 ones are the best I have found.
    Costume jewellery- if it isn't real don't spend big on it, primark, H&M Peacocks, Claire's etc are great for beads and bangles. For the prices accessorize charge I expect gold/silver and semi precious stones.
    Flip flops/jellies - no point spending big they are going to be crappy plastic wherever they are from. Same for canvas beach bags, canvas pumps etc.
    Sleepwear - no one sees it, primark is good enough quality and very pretty, asda is also good.
    Shoes/bags/belts made from PVC or other leather look synthetics - don't bother, not worth the saving they wear badly look cheap and feel sweaty, save your money for the real thing.
    "real" jewellery - if it is silver or gold or diamonds then it is of a standardised quality, buying tiffany is just a brand name, argos is just another brand name, buy what you like and shop around there are some amazing price to be had. I've seen the exact same ring sold through different "named" shops for wildly different prices, in excess of 50% difference just for the shop.
    Trend items - as previous posters have said if it will only be in for a season or you aren't sure how much wear you will get primark H&M etc are brilliant.
    Jeans - like bras it is all about the fit, if primark or new look fit then go for it, but if you fit levis or ck then buy one good pair rather than three cheap ones it will be worth it. And if you want a brand name check out the factory outlets, seconds qualities are amazing and so much cheaper, my last levis cost £20, that is less than gap or topshop.
  • Katie-Kat-Kins
    Options
    Oh and never try to go cheap on waterproof coats or sports footwear, two areas where you get what you pay for to a large extent and can make yourself miserable if you buy a cheap version that doesn't perform.

One Gortex coat will be worth every penny for the years of staying dry rather than buying cheap "showerproof" fashion coats that make you sticky sweaty and damp.
  • minerva_windsong
    Options
    *agrees with KatP about Asda PJs* I have a pair of Asda pyjamas that I've had for years and years and they're still going!

I'd also like to give Dorothy Perkins jeans a mention as they are very good for what they cost if you don't wear jeans a lot - my going out jeans are from there because I know I won't wear them much. That said though my favourite jeans ever were from New Look, back when non-80s style boyfriend jeans were in - really soft and comfy but also cheap.

However I will say I have found Accessorize have gone a lot cheaper recently and the stuff is nicer than others in a similar price range *cough* Topshop *cough*
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • Katie-Kat-Kins
    Options
    I think topshop are pretty rubbish for most things to be honest, expensive for the quality you get.

Haven't been in accessorize for a while as I generally find their stuff over priced, but next are pretty good for accessories if you go to the sales or clearence shops.

And yes I have had DP jeans in the past and they were pretty good. DP generally make good fitting clothes, especially if you have a waist and hips and bum! Can't beat their shorts either, cheaper than new look and better quality!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure