International bank account for erasmus students

Options
Hi, I'm going to be moving to France soon where I'll be working for a year as a language assistant. Before I go I've got to open an international bank account so that I can access my money until I open an account in France. I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to what accounts are any good as most seem to charge monthly or charge for individual transactions. Is there any way of getting round this. My current account is with lloyds tsb.

Secondly does anyone have any advise as to which bank I should get an account with when I move to France.

Comments

• bewildered123
    Options
    If you have a debit card that works abroad (most do), then I'd just get internet banking on your Lloyds account so that you can transfer money and manage your account, and make do with that until your French account is up and running. Although you'll pay to withdraw money, it's not that much and if you plan a bit probably cheaper than an 'international account'. Once you're there, my students have found la Poste to offer the least complicated accounts to set up quickly.
  • jl07jnb
    Options
    Ok thanks a lot I think I'll do that then!
  • MrsManda
    MrsManda Posts: 4,457 Forumite
    Options
    Nationwide doesn't charge you to withdraw money in France so you could get a debit/credit card with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure