buying the freehold, over 6k fair?

i have enquired about the price to buy the freehold on our house and they managment compnay have quoted me £5995 + solicitor fees, is this fair

the property is subject to a yearly ground rent of £75.00, it was built in 1995, so there is approx 86 years left on the lease. postocde is DY5.

i used to work for a property managmenet company in manchester and we used to charge 25 Years purchase price, to buy a freehold, admittedly this was over 10 years ago, but i cant believe prices have gone up so much.

i was expecting to pay about £2,000 max, but its 3 times this amount, is this right?
its only a bargain, if you need it or will use it.

:beer:

Comments

• ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    there are no set rules on valueing a freehold purchase. its up to you and the freeholder to decide on a price.
    make them an offer???
    if you refuse to pay their asking price, you have to wait 12 months before you can ask again.
    Get some gorm.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I believe there is in fact a formulae used to work out the price of buying the freehold on a leasehold property. I know it is so on properties with a lease of less than 80yrs as these are more costly than with a lease of over 80yrs.

A valuer is usually sent out to determine the value & you have to pay the cost of the valuation & the freeholder's legal fees.

Contact these people as they are the best point of contact for all issues relating to owning leasehold property, including lease extensions & purchasing the freehold. It's a government funded agency. https://www.lease-advice.org
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    there is no formula or set of rules.

ive just seen a very large house in dorset. its now 5 x flats. the freehold title only for sale.
    300 quid GR per flat per annum. all flats sold on long lease. 99yrs.
    the sale price is 24k.
    Get some gorm.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family