IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

looking for a bit of advice

Options
hi all ...wonder if you can help me at all ...was working night shift the other night and had to stay on late at work due to staff sickness ....if i hadnt stayed on i wouldnt have needed to use a parking permit but as i had to stay on i did require one ...only thing is i didnt find out till about 6am (when the person phoned in sick) and i couldnt leave the unit to put one in (due to the type of work i do) a co-worker relieved me at 9.40am i was doing the handover when at 9.41 got a parking ticket ...have written a letter of appeal is there anything i can do ...

here's the letter of appeal
I am writing to dispute the above parking fine. I do accept that I was parked without a permit at the time but offer the following reasons as to why this happened on this occasion.

1) I currently work at a private home next to where I park my car, I am a night shift worker starting at 9.30pm and finishing at 7.30am therefore have no need to use the parking permits granted to the workplace for parking.
2) However on the morning of 24/07/09 due to the needs of the service I was required to work till 9.45am, I didn’t find this out till early morning so had no opportunity to put a parking permit in the car as I cannot leave the home due to health and safety reasons and the needs of the service.
3) Unfortunately, due to the needs of the service I had to have the curtains closed so could not keep an eye out for a parking attendant so that I could inform him of the situation.

I apologise for not putting a parking permit in my car at 9.30pm but I expected to finish at 7.30am so didn’t think I would need to. I have however taken on board what has happened and have started to use the permit every night just in case this situation arises again. I would be extremely grateful if on this occasion you could uphold my appeal, as there was no abuse of the parking system intended, it was merely an unavoidable situation that has now been noted and changes implemented.

Comments

• Coblcris
    Coblcris Posts: 1,862 Forumite
    Options
    Was this a council PCN ?
    If it is from a Private Parking Company then my action would be to NOT send that letter.
  • elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    its from the council ...south lanarkshire
  • Coblcris
    edited 27 July 2009 at 8:11PM
    Options
    The council is unlikely to relent. If your job is part of the emergency services or an essential social support role they may have second thoughts but I would not depend on this.

Always check the signage, road markings and the parking order for council PCNs. Many councils cannot get it right despite have clear and unambiguous documentation and examples. And of course their paperwork may be non-compliant or they may make procedural errors..

As this is not a Private Parking Company you cannot ignore it.
  • elantan
    Options
    Truthfully I wasn't planning on ignoring it .... Just thought I would try and appeal it .... If I fail I will pay it and just refuse to help out at work anymore ... Put it down to bad luck
  • elantan
    Options
    my workng role is a major supportng role ( wow feel like an actress ) but not an emergency service ..
  • Coblcris
    Options
    I would refer you to the second paragraph in my previous post.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure