What's appropriate for me?

Options
Hi,
I have very limited internet access knowledge so some advice please...

I am starting university in September to do a masters so lots of home learning, and will be needing internet access at home. I currently don't have a home phone line as I use the phone very little.

I will mainly be using the internet for downloading papers, checking and sending e-mails and a little MSE and Facebook browsing.

So can anyone help me decipher what I need (and hopefully explain in the process)?
I see that you get speeds e.g 3.6mps and data allowance e.g 15GB or unlimited???

Would I be better with a landline or dongle? Searching the access for my area it appears Orange is the only dongle suitable - 2G good, 3G & 3G+ good outdoors, variable indoors??? And if anyone knows of any great offers around at the moment that would be great!

Appreciation in advance.

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Without decent 3G signal a dongle is about as much use as a chocolate teapot-you'll find the speed limitations very frustrating.
    So a landline would give a very much more relaible service, but you will need to get a line installed with a minimum call package.
    Impossible to recommend a suitable package without knowing what exchange you are on (because not all ISP's can offer the same service on all exchanges). Either post your exchange or area code, or have a look at samknows.com to see which ISP's offer an LLU service on your exchange-these will generally offer the best deals.
    O2 is a good broadband option (if available as LLU) if you have an O2 mobile, as you get a fiver discount on the standard price.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport