'How much do you spend on holiday?' poll discussion

edited 4 August 2009 at 12:07PM in Money Saving Polls
33 replies 10.3K views
Former_MSE_LawrenceFormer_MSE_Lawrence Former MSE
975 Posts
edited 4 August 2009 at 12:07PM in Money Saving Polls
Poll ran between 27 July - 4 August 2009:

How much do you spend on holiday?

Whether it’s a package holiday or DIY cheap flight we spend serious time getting the best price. Yet many lose all budget constraints and just spend when they get there.

How much do you spend, PER PERSON, PER WEEK on holiday?

A. No holidays for me – I’m skint - 15% (1944 votes)
B. SINGLE. Under £70 - 1% (123 votes)
C. SINGLE. £71-£200 - 5% (582 votes)
D. SINGLE. £201-£500 - 8% (1035 votes)
E. SINGLE. £501-£1,000 - 4% (456 votes)
F. SINGLE. Over £1,000 - 1% (146 votes)
G. COUPLE. Under £70 per person - 2% (232 votes)
H. COUPLE. £71-£200 per person - 10% (1210 votes)
I. COUPLE. £201-£500 per person - 17% (2160 votes)
J. COUPLE. £501-£1,000 per person - 9% (1108 votes)
K. COUPLE. Over £1,000 per person - 3% (389 votes)
L. FAMILY. Under £70 per person - 3% (411 votes)
M. FAMILY. £71 - £200 per person - 8% (1024 votes)
N. FAMILY. £201 - £500 per person - 8% (1007 votes)
O. FAMILY. £501 - £1,000 per person - 5% (584 votes)
P. FAMILY. Over £1,000 per person - 2% (285 votes)

This vote has now ended, but you can still click 'post reply' to discuss below. Thanks :)

Related Guides: Best Card For Spending Abroad, Travel Money Maximiser

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Replies

• zygurat789zygurat789 Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Presumeably you have to exclude food if you are not on an all inclusive holiday?
    So spends on the essentials,wine women and song then, no frittering it away then.
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • Sorry to be pedantic but " How much do you spend on holiday?" is too vague a question as some will spend as much on new clothes, essential items such as sun tan lotion before they even get there.

How about "Excluding the cost of your travel and accommodation, How much do you spend on holiday?"
    There's always someone bigger and better, smarter and stronger but there's only one YOU!:j
  • nzseries1nzseries1 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Sorry to be pedantic as well... but what if I spend exactly £70?
    There's no option for that :D
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
  • JimmyTheWigJimmyTheWig Forumite
    12.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Over £1000 per week per person on a family holiday???
    What on earth are you buying?
  • Well it depends where you're going doesn't it? You can't get a week in America for the same price as a week in France.

The answer for me is that we decide where we want to go, then we spend the least possible for that destination.
  • The survey is not clear if it is only spending money that is to be counted and not accommodation and food as well, for the independant traveller, these expenses dont get paid up front and will have an effect on spending money available.
    I can spend up to £500 a week easily on holiday sometimes more depending on the class of hotel I want to stay at on a day to day basis.
  • nzseries1nzseries1 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    I assumed the survey was about "non-essential spending", therefore excluding travel and accomodation.
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
    4.3K Posts
    If you read the introduction it is clear. Just exclude food to equate to all-in prices.
    4.3K Posts
    When are we going to have a really interesting poll such as "what expenditure should the government cut?
    Or perhaps the site is not large enough for a forum that size.
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    Forumite
    zygurat789 wrote: »
    When are we going to have a really interesting poll such as "what expenditure should the government cut?
    Or perhaps the site is not large enough for a forum that size.

Quite a nice suggestion - may try and do it
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ask An Expert: Rewind

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals