We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

40% tax on earnings...affect on savings

Options
Hi
if someone has a small amount of salary taxed at 40%...does this affect any savings that's not in an ISA?

Comments

• Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes. Your savings are taxed at your highest marginal rate, so you will need to pay an additional 25% of your interest to the taxman each year. Your savings interest can actually make you a higher rate taxpayer for some of your interest if you are slightly below the higher rate threshold.

Sorry if that's not great news!
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • WaxiesDargle
    WaxiesDargle Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Aegis

the benefits of a pay increase that goes over the 40% threshold works out at £130 a month...hardly worth it is it!!?
  • Trying_to_be_good
    Options
    In this economic climate, definitely worth it!
    Mortgage Free thanks to ill-health retirement
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Aegis

the benefits of a pay increase that goes over the 40% threshold works out at £130 a month...hardly worth it is it!!?
    I'd take it... Right now an extra £130 would mean a lot to me. Single income cohabiting couple here ;)
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • tobiascurious
    Options
    effect, not affect

sorry
  • WaxiesDargle
    WaxiesDargle Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    Options
    effect, not affect

sorry

:D

I was struggling with which one it was...thanks for the pointer ;)
  • InMyDreams
    InMyDreams Posts: 895 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Aegis

Surely a pay increase that did not take you over would be even less. I wouldn't complain.
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,540 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you've got a lot of savings it doesn't seem worth it.

If you've no savings, or they're all in ISAs the grab it!

Of course, if you have a mortgage where you can retrieve your overpayments then put the savings money into there and it will be your mortgage rate equivalent you save in interest.
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks Aegis

If you are that close it's possible your savings interest took you into the higher rate tax band anyway.

It's still extra income - it's not as if you suddenly pay 40% tax on everything, only the small amount that you are into the higher rate tax barcket by.

You could pay extra into your pension and bring yourself back into basic rate if you wanted.
  • dreemgirl
    dreemgirl Posts: 290 Forumite
    Options
    what is the amount of the 40% threshold?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport