Petlog?

Options
Had Jim chipped the other week - was given a tag to put on his collar with a phone number, it has Bayer on the other side. Plus I have the relevant paperwork too from the Vet.

Today I have received a 'letter' from Petlog - saying 'you've microchipped your pet - activate to Petlog Premium now!'

I thought the 'chipping' at the vets was sufficient? Or is this something else I have to do? Or is it a con?

Anyone heard of them? Apparently its a '£10' one off payment for life....
Genie
Master Technician

Comments

• dieselhead
    dieselhead Posts: 599 Forumite
    Options
    When I adopted my cat part of the paperwork was to change the address of his chip, from the rescue centre to me. I seem to remember that Petlog were the company who hold all the details and I had to send the change of address to them. I do remember them offering a premium service which I declined but I can't remember if I had to pay for a basic service or not.
    2009 wins: Cadburys Chocolate Pack x 6, Sally Hansen Hand cream, Ipod nano! mothers day meal at Toby Carvery! :j :j :j :j
  • jeannieblue
    jeannieblue Posts: 4,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have just got out the paperwork from when I had him chipped. There are two helplines - one is Bayer and the other is Petlog.

So what I need to find out is why Petlog want £10 for? It says it is for a special upgrade to offer me Petlog Premium. It also says - 'now that he's been microchipped - activate Petlog Premium now.... your pet could be lost without it' .... but why? Surely as he is already chipped and registered that is enough??

It doesn't tell me what I get for 'Premium'? I am reluctant to call them as I really don't want to listen to a load of 'spiel'.......... its the weekend after all... :o
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • moomin5
    moomin5 Posts: 404 Forumite
    Options
    Petlogs the company the chip is registered with. The £10 premium offers extra's and i think the main advantage was that you can update the details of the chip for free, whereas i read on the Petlog site
    A £10.00 administration charge will be requested for a change of address if you are not a Petlog Premium member. So if your likely to move within your pets lifetime i guess its worth paying out the extra.

You can find out more about the premium/normal service here http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/438
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pay a one off fee & then all future changes of address/ownership etc are covered, normally they're £5 each time. I upgraded with my Cat but there's no need to, I reckon the your pet could be lost without it just means so many people don't change their info when they move, maybe cause of the charge? You can keep it as it is tho & just pay if & when you move a fiver x
  • jeannieblue
    jeannieblue Posts: 4,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks.

As I have no intention of moving (unless I win the lottery :D) and in no way is Jim going anywhere! It looks like I will be able to spend the £10 for treats instead!
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Its £5 each change which inculdes change of telephone number and other contact. We paid the £10 as we changed mobile number (£5) and then unexpectently moved (£5) so even if we never make a change again we have paid for it. Although our other contact is moving soon so that will be another change.
  • Mutter_2
    Mutter_2 Posts: 1,307 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the pic on the other thread Jeannie, I don't know whose luckier, you for finding him or Jim for being so gainfully employed as an honorary mechanic working with his mum all day. :D
  • gregnash
    Options
    they want to charge me £10 to change a few details on their system?? crazy, my pet is registered at my old address and in my ex-girlfriends name and they want me to upgrade to Premium for £10 so i can change it as many times as i like, what a con, it's a 2 second paperwork job. she said that when we paid at Vets4Pets they don't see any of that money (?) and they need to fund it somehow. bullsh*t.

the paperwork has my email address on it, as well as my phone number so they'll be in touch if she ever goes missing, so screw em. plus they'll get a shock if they think she's wandered from Sheffield to Bedfordshire.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I seem to remember that you can also put a temporary address on their system when you go on holiday which is more use if you have a dog and lose him/her in an unknown location. Sorry don't know the exact details as my dog was pts 2 years ago and I shredded the doc.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    No, its not a scam - Petlog is where the chip is registered. They offer to upgrade so that you can change addresses on the register whenever you move.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure