My goodness - dirty make up brushes! How often do you clean yours?

Options
I've been getting a greasier face as of late and have wondered if it's my make up, my moisturiser or something else.

I was just sorting through some make up and came across my many make up brushes, and thought, I'll give these a clean, can't remember the last time I did it.

Well, my god, you should have seen the dirt that came off these things! :eek::eek: The water looked as though a tea bag had been steeped in it too long :o:o And that was after 3-4 washes with shampoo.

Just looked up some guidelines which state that liquid use brushes (foundation etc) should be cleaned everyday and all other brushes every 2-3 weeks -

Do you follow this guidelines or are yours all as dirty as mines?! :rotfl:

Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.

Comments

• lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    hieveryone wrote: »
    I've been getting a greasier face as of late and have wondered if it's my make up, my moisturiser or something else.

I was just sorting through some make up and came across my many make up brushes, and thought, I'll give these a clean, can't remember the last time I did it.

Well, my god, you should have seen the dirt that came off these things! :eek::eek: The water looked as though a tea bag had been steeped in it too long :o:o And that was after 3-4 washes with shampoo.

Just looked up some guidelines which state that liquid use brushes (foundation etc) should be cleaned everyday and all other brushes every 2-3 weeks -

Do you follow this guidelines or are yours all as dirty as mines?! :rotfl:

Twice a year I clean them all, every now and then I'll clean one between the big washes, BUT I have a biggish collection of brushes and move on to similar brushes once I've been using one for a while.

I find mine take a couple of days to dry completely, so washing every two weeks would be a nightmare.
  • hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I wonder if using the hairdryer will speed it up a bit :rotfl::rotfl:

Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
  • RoseFairy
    RoseFairy Posts: 736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 July 2009 at 5:47PM
    Options
    hi i tend to use the sponge - that comes with the face powder compact, and my blusher brush as a guide to how often i clean my brushes. i would say approximately every 6-8 weeks is how often i wash them. if i can't see the original colour of sponge well or the blusher brush feels matted then i wash them with the shadow brush and lipbrush and applicators too. if you clean them regularly then a quick swish until residue goes is all that they will need. however too frequently - then the bristle will come loose. oh and i flick/shake the brushes as much as is possible to help dry them and then hang them over the window sill or on top of a flannel. the best time to wash them i think is just before bedtime when they can dry over night, or during weekend or when i'm less likely to need to wear makeup.
    i suppose a hairdryer may help but i don't know if they will damage the bristle or not.
    hth
  • katieclampet
    katieclampet Posts: 832 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Never! I always use baby buds, or fingers!

katiex
  • aboxa
    aboxa Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    hi i usually give them a quick wipe with at baby wipe after i use the brushs and wash every 2 3 weeks but note i use very cheap brushes not mac or anything
  • princess_loki
    Options
    when i was living back at my mum and dads (aged 27) i washed my make up brushes and thought they could do with soaking for an afternoon (not been washed for ages). so i left them in a bowl of soapy water on the kitchen windowsill.

all was fine until naughty cat decided it would drink the water and promptly threw up into the bowl :eek::eek:. the sick was not lumpy and i am so so glad that my dad happened to be in the garden and saw what she was doing :rotfl::rotfl:.

needless to say i threw them all away and had to buy new...
    it's nice to be important but more important to be nice!! :kisses3:
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,611 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I wash my beauty blender after each use also the concealer brush.
    I have a Smashbox spray cleaner which I use every two weeks and wash them once a month.

don't soak your brushes in water the glue holding them in will rot off.
  • kerry13238
    kerry13238 Posts: 442 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    im a make up artist forget shampoo and make up brush cleaners use baby steralising fluid and hotwater its the best and about 80p a bottlein asda and lasts forever i do my personal brushes ones once a month.
  • princess_loki
    Options
    kerry13238 wrote: »
    im a make up artist forget shampoo and make up brush cleaners use baby steralising fluid and hotwater its the best and about 80p a bottlein asda and lasts forever i do my personal brushes ones once a month.

i haven't done mine in ages (again:o). can i use milton and should i add a bit of shampoo to get the grease out?
    it's nice to be important but more important to be nice!! :kisses3:
  • kerry13238
    kerry13238 Posts: 442 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i just use the steralising fluid and hot water taking care not the get the base of the brush where the glue is in the fluid as it can affect the glue if you use the shampoo they get suds and then its hard to get them out with out damaging the glue. steralising fluid is the best type of cleaner you can use on anything its gentle but kills everything i use it in the kitchen and on the floors too makes sence really its ment for babys bottles. hope this helps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure