how do i find out who owns a house / which mortgage comapny has the deeds?

Options
I know of a house that has been repossessed, how do i find out which mortgage company has the loan against the house , i knows its possible , but just not sure how.

anyone help please.

thanks

Comments

• Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    The Land Registry can tell you about who owns the property and who the lender is. Check out the examples they give on this page here.
    J_B.
  • iscrimger
    iscrimger Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    https://www.landsearch.net will provide you the full deeds & plan to the property... at a costly £30.

It provides the complete report including property details, location, owner & mortgage lender etc etc.

Although that said they haven't yet managed to fulfill my request and seem to be 'stalling' the process having provided a similar address to the one I requested.
  • just_wondering_4
    Options
    thank you :)
  • Landprofits
    Landprofits Posts: 288 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to disagree with another poster - don't use the Landsearch website - it's costly and they get their info from the Land Registry.

Search on google for Land Register Online. The documents are only a couple of quid each.

You can also try talking to the agent to see if they will reveal any info about the property.
  • iscrimger
    iscrimger Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They do offer a good service but with my newly found experience I would avoid them!!

My 'searcher' is apparently now on holiday... from this morning and I can't get my report until Monday! I got the wrong report on Wednesday an hour after my request. I got 2 replies this morning and yesterday about this and now I'm told Monday.

As I'm in Scotland it takes around 8 days to request these documents, UKLRS could provide it within 24 hours. They're just not all that great at getting it right it would seem.
  • northseagirl
    Options
    Hi
    I have had terrible problems with UKLRS / landsearch.net
    I wanted some Old docs listed as Copy Filed on the Title deed - but
    as I had to download a form and then send a cheque to the proper Land Registry site I decided to pay the extra and have them emailed by UKLRS.
    Big mistake. The only sent one of the three listed docs. Then after repeated
    emails said that they would order them. Then said they no longer existed.
    I checked with Land Registry and they said they were on their computer.
    Now UKLRS won't reply to my emails. There is no phone number.
    Their parent company is Timewell plc which has a couple of listed addresses, but cannot get a phone no - well there is one but nobody answers.

DO NOT USE THEM - RUBBISH SERVICE - A CON

Any suggestions how to find a phone number without paying for a company search?
    Thanks
  • alivi5
    Options
    The best way I have found to deal with UKLRS and it's appalling customer service is to go straight to Trading Standards and get them on the case.

After several attempts to get my money back when they had decided to go mute on me about my request (that I had paid upfront for), Trading Standards have finally had my money returned to me in full.

I can't thank them enough. The people at Trading Standards in the Wirral are a really great gov body, rare accolade indeed!!!

Go to www. ripofftipoff.net (pls remove space) and use the Let us know link to enter the rip off complaints you have about UKLRS and Trading Standards will contact you.

Good luck!
  • Lime-dragon
    Options
    Do not use UKLRS!!!!!! Go straight to the land registry, not only is is a fraction of the price but their service is much better. As an anonymous employee of UKLRS I urge you all to go else where. ****SAVE YOUR MONEY, YOUR TIME AND STRESS LEVELS!!!!*****
  • Judyarts
    Options
    I wish I had read the above posts earlier. I have just fallen foul of UK Land Registry Search - I paid £30.55 for a registered OLD DEED of my cottage. All they sent me was a copy of the basic land registry plan and title which I had already purchased from the LR for a total of £8.00.

I was doing an investigation into an old right of way on my land (selling a bit of my garden) and needed to find copies of original old deeds.

The company have refused to answer my emails and I have now sent a report to Wirral trading Standards (thanks for the iink!).

If 'anonymous' who works for UK LRS could possibly assist me - my registered name was Judyarts and I requested details on 20 May I would be really really grateful. As someone on disability benefit and little means I'm afraid wasting £30.00 is a great deal of money to me. And you are right - they really go to a lot of trouble to ensure that emails and telephone numbers are not displayed to the public. Poor show.
  • Henry_P_Chester
    Options
    Just go to the land registry website it's £4.
    Debt Is Slavery.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport