Stoozing and in (minor) debt! - Newbie

Options
Hi all

I am completely new to all this, so hello to all that read this.

A friend recommended Martin's book, The Money Diet and it has been a bit of an eye opener. In short I have consolidated my existing credit card debt of £2,875 onto a Capital One 0% balance transfer card which is interest free until 1 JUly 2007 by which time I aim to have it cleared. Also due to a minor !!!!-up by Capital One I managed to get them to waive the balance transfer fee! I have also opened a new Sainsbury's Bank 0% purchase card which again is interest free for 10 months. I have opened a savings account into which I am going to transfer, each month, from my current account an equivalent amount as I spend on my Sainsbury's card. The aim being to pay the minimum amount due on the card each month and then settle in full before the 0% period expires. A mini-stooze if you like.

My main question is, and I am getting to it!, Martin recommends not attempting stoozing until you are debt free. Can someone please explain. I would have hoped it was possible to stooze and use the interest to reduce the existing debt quicker. Also, and this is where I am being a bit thick, I understand the principle of stoozing, I think, but am struggling to work out which cards are best to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Martinslovechild
    Options
    cb1964 wrote:
    I understand the principle of stoozing, but am struggling to work out which cards are best to use.
    I recommend that you check out the Stoozing website for loads of info on this subject.
    Mortgage Feb 2001 - £129,000
    Mortgage July 2007 - £0
    Original Mortgage Termination Date - Nov 2018
    Mortgage Interest saved - £63790.60
    ISA Profit since Jan 1st 2015 - 98.2% (updated 1 Dec 2020)
  • cb1964
    cb1964 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks guys for your comments. I have read a lot about the Egg card although I seem to have missed out on the benefits. Apologies if I appear a bit dim on the subject but can you make some suggestions as to which cards are best. Thanks.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cb1964 wrote:
    ...can you make some suggestions as to which cards are best.
    Very briefly, you need an SBT card (eg Egg Card, Egg Money, Mint, Virgin) and some 0% BT cards - avoiding (S)BT fees wherever possible.

I would strongly urge you to spend some time reading up on the subject before starting out on 'fast-stoozing'. Have you checked out the link provided earlier in the thread?

There's also some useful information on this site - in the 'stoozing' and 'super BTs' links above your first post.
  • cb1964
    cb1964 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the advice YorkshireBoy. I have read the links you refer to and feel that I am in a good position to take advantage of stoozing. I have identified one 0% BT card with no fees but could do with some advice on others. I am not sure if I am missing the point here but the Egg and Mint cards appear to charge for balance transfers. Apologies if am not getting this, can you explain how I can transfer funds to a high interest account via my current account, without attracting fees. Thanks.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cb1964 wrote:
    ...can you explain how I can transfer funds to a high interest account via my current account, without attracting fees.
    Use the Egg Money card, as explained in Martin's The Middle Route and stoozing.com's New Egg Money Card - Stoozing Analysis (and subsequent discussion).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure